FOR NINJA TORTOISES

LOCK UP YOUR PURE BLOOD!

hAHA I wouldnt mind at all

Tortus said:
bigred said:
karleyreed said:
bigred said:
Depending on what kind of tort you could pay 50.00 to several thousand

Several thousand??? Jesus. What species would set you bk that much??

A radiated tortoise could cost anywhere from 700.00 for a small hatchling to several thousand. Aldabras several thousand as well. Albino redfoots, High white leopards, Hets, The list could go on and on I paid 1300. for my first Radiated tort and that was a good price. This is him now several years later. he developed some pretty good color. He didnt have most of this color when I got him

That's a nice looking tortoise. Cool pattern. How old was it when you got it?

The breeder I got mine from has albino sulcata hatchlings for over $2000.

I believe he was about a year old or a bit younger. I would need to get the tort journal out to give you his right age

karleyreed

5 Year Member
bigred said:
A radiated tortoise could cost anywhere from 700.00 for a small hatchling to several thousand. Aldabras several thousand as well. Albino redfoots, High white leopards, Hets, The list could go on and on I paid 1300. for my first Radiated tort and that was a good price. This is him now several years later. he developed some pretty good color. He didnt have most of this color when I got him

Beautiful
Colouring!!!

cherylim said:
Emrys was £130.

Did you get him from a
Pet store
Or breeder?

bigred said:
FOR NINJA TORTOISES

I have a ninja tort.... His name is Michaelanglo ;)

bigred said:
FOR NINJA TORTOISES

I have a ninja tort.. His name is Michaelanglo ;)

Lesley4444

5 Year Member
I got my little hatchling about a month ago for £100 from a breeder.. she/he is a hermann :)

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swansea UK
When i went to buy mine they were £70 each or 2 for £130 so of course i bought 2 :D

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Most of mine are rescue torts so I have not paid a dime for most. I did pay for one of my adult females. The person said she paid 200.00 for her from a very large herp shop in San francisco. So she would not take less than 100.00

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
All of my Sulcatas are rescues so I got them for free. I love my pyramided torts that no one else wanted because they aren't "smooth" torties.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
karleyreed said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
Think I gave $125 each for Ptolemy, Ophelia and Apollonia, plus $45 for shipping, and $160 for Jennifer, from a local hobby breeder.

Lately, around this time of year, I've seen males, left over from spring/summer shipments, going for a bit less...last year, a friend got her son a male Hermann's for $75 + shipping/handling.

That's pretty cheap given the dollar to pound exchange! Ha. I think they're in such high demand here and not enough access to them which is why they're so pricey. Are any of yours microchipped?

No, but I've been thinking about doing so, and plan to discuss the idea w/ my vet next checkup.

It's legally required in England, isn't it?

For perspective, back in 1975, about 3 months after I inherited my Grandfather's tortoise, I found some more Herman's tortoises in an area dept. store's pet section...fully grown, they sold for $2.98/per.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Terry Allan Hall said:
No, but I've been thinking about doing so, and plan to discuss the idea w/ my vet next checkup.

It's legally required in England, isn't it?

For perspective, back in 1975, about 3 months after I inherited my Grandfather's tortoise, I found some more Herman's tortoises in an area dept. store's pet section...fully grown, they sold for $2.98/per.

Mine came microchipped and with legal documentation papers as he's a dwarf western herman and they're said to be endangered in the wild. I'm not sure if it's a legal requirement here, but everywhere I looked for getting a tort before I got one mentioned microchipping! Saved myself around £50-£100 buying him already chipped.
Wow!!! That is mega cheap!! Haha. I can't even remember sweets being that cheap in my life time??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A couple years ago I started out selling my baby babcocks for $75. Then I dropped it to $50. Then I dropped the price to two for $50 and I ended up giving the last three away free. Then I adopted out my males so there would be no more babies. Its all about supply and demand.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
A couple years ago I started out selling my baby babcocks for $75. Then I dropped it to $50. Then I dropped the price to two for $50 and I ended up giving the last three away free. Then I adopted out my males so there would be no more babies. Its all about supply and demand.

In the area I live in, there are zero tort breeders! And so, we have to rely on them being shipped into pet stores, 2 reptile stores in my area had them when I was looking, one had 6, and the other 2, the store with 2 were selling them for £250 each un-microchipped, where as the store with 6, we're selling for £150 and microchipped. They flew out and were all
Sold within 2 weeks. Ordering more in from breeders took a very long time, so u consider myself very lucky to have gotten one when I did.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Karley the lack of breeders in the UK makes sense due to the climate. Here in the US, it seems like almost all breeders are in places like Arizona or southern California where the climate is right for breeding.

My dog is microchipped, but the thought of tortoise microchipping seems funny to me. Is that in case they get lost or what? The chances of a dog getting lost are far greater.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Tortus said:
Karley the lack of breeders in the UK makes sense due to the climate. Here in the US, it seems like almost all breeders are in places like Arizona or southern California where the climate is right for breeding.

My dog is microchipped, but the thought of tortoise microchipping seems funny to me. Is that in case they get lost or what? The chances of a dog getting lost are far greater.

That is very true. Considering I live in the north east aswel, which is Defo one of the coldest areas, I can understand as to why there are very little, if not, any breeders. I think it's possibly a legal requirement, with specific species. I own a dwarf western hermans, he came with legal documentation also, and I was told his kind were endangered? We have funny rules here in the UK.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I would also like to breed tortoises, but I know in my climate that would be too difficult. I'm seriously considering moving to Arizona so I can do so. I have a lot of family there who are encouraging me. I would love to live in Apache Junction and have my torts thriving in the Superstition Mountains. :D

Yes, you do have more strict rules in the UK. Even some health supplements I take are not sold over there. I have a bunch of online UK friends and we talk about this all the time.

Have you had any luck getting Mazuri?

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Tortus said:
I would also like to breed tortoises, but I know in my climate that would be too difficult. I'm seriously considering moving to Arizona so I can do so. I have a lot of family there who are encouraging me. :D

Yes, you do have more strict rules in the UK. Even some health supplements I take are not sold over there. I have a bunch of online UK friends and we talk about this all the time.

Have you had any luck getting Mazuri?

Where do you currently live? That's a huge commitment! You must really live torts!! Lol. The rules here are stupid, but let's not get into politics, I have strong views on our government which possibly shouldn't be exploited on here lol. Mazuri is a definite no go!!! I have however, been using pre alpin tortoise food, which seems to be having a good impact. And the ingredients are 100% natural, and made up of dried grasses, weeds, flowers etc.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I'm currently in Maryland on the east coast of the USA. Mid Atlantic. We have HOT summers, and COLD winters. Very extreme. It can get over 100 degrees F in the summer, and close to 0 degrees in the winter.

But I've been wanting to move to Arizona for a while now. I've been there a couple times during road trips with my grandfather, visiting family, and I absolutely love the place. I love the climate, wildlife, plants, and everything about the state.

Plus in many yards grass doesn't grow so that's less mowing for me! Where my uncle lives in Apache Junction his yard is nothing but a desert filled with Joshua trees, cacti, horned toad lizards, and road runners. It's awesome.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Tortus said:
I'm currently in Maryland on the east coast of the USA. Mid Atlantic. We have HOT summers, and COLD winters. Very extreme. It can get over 100 degrees F in the summer, and close to 0 degrees in the winter.

But I've been wanting to move to Arizona for a while now. I've been there a couple times during road trips with my grandfather, visiting family, and I absolutely love the place. I love the climate, wildlife, plants, and everything about the state.

Plus in many yards grass doesn't grow so that's less mowing for me! Where my uncle lives in Apache Junction his yard is nothing but a desert filled with Joshua trees, cacti, horned toad lizards, and road runners. It's awesome.

Your current location sounds like an ideal
Place to live!! Haha. No need for a holiday! We have the worst weather ever here, all year round.
We're lucky to get a week of hot weather (hot enough to wear shorts etc) here in summer. It rains all of the time, and snows every winter. The snow was that bad last week everywhere came to a stand still, and usual 10 minute car journeys were taking 3-4 hours. Arizona sounds amazing though! I've never been to the states, but will one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.