Tort sitting for in laws - NEED HELP

Badbabysitter

Location (City and/or State)
Portsmouth
Oh man

so I don’t know what kind of tort He is but he’s a couple years old, super cute and a bit naughty.
Tort sitting and house and animal sitting and it is cold so we were told don’t let him out if it’s rainy cold etc

but he tried to escape yesterday and I was worried he’d fall of his table and hurt himself and has been a REALLY busy boy making lots of noise and moving about.

so thinking I was being nice I let him walk around the lounge - I since realise this was bad and I am an awful person - he ate a bit of cat litter - literally a singular piece the size of half a pine nut - I’ve put him back in his home and spiralled into an anxiety ridden pit now convinced he’ll impact and die - does anyone know if he’ll be ok given that it was one tiny bit? He looked like he really enjoyed it by the way and was clearly planning to find more and I believe he is actively trying to get me in trouble.

Can I do anything to help him? Feed him something to help it through his system? I really don’t want to hurt the little guy I just wanted him to have a walk about and enjoy some freedom whilst it’s cold.

concerned I just will have to wait for a month to find out if he’s ok or not and may have given myself and ulcer and break down by then.

Last edited:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m sure that one piece of cat litter isnt going to do any harm. They nibble on & swallow all kinds of things in the wild. Sounds like the “table” he’s in/on isnt large enough. Anyhow, since you are just house/pet sitting it’s best to follow directions the owner provided. Just make sure it has enough food & water.

Maybe try to upload a pix or two. You probably have a Russian or a Hermanns.

Good luck

Badbabysitter

Portsmouth
I’m sure that one piece of cat litter isnt going to do any harm. They nibble on & swallow all kinds of things in the wild. Sounds like the “table” he’s in/on isnt large enough. Anyhow, since you are just house/pet sitting it’s best to follow directions the owner provided. Just make sure it has enough food & water.

Maybe try to upload a pix or two. You probably have a Russian or a Hermanns.

Good luck
Thank you, I think he’s waiting on an upgrade being made now he’s a bit bigger.

lesson learnt will leave him be unless it’s a nice day and he can go in his run and hunt dandelions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 93

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom I hope so, he seemed cross to be stuck in his house but I will not try and interpret his business ever again!!
Well meaning and poorly executed tort sitting.
The road to ruin is paved with good intentions... Or something like that. :)

Try to refer them to this care sheet when they get back:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Lmao, boy did you get put in a position. Pet sitting for inlaws! No, that can't go bad lol.
You are brave!
Glad you found us though. So you don't need to panic any more.
In fact you dont even need to say a word to the inlaws if you don't want too. That one little piece will never show itself in any way. Well, maybe in the poop, but not likely to be seen.
Enjoy the rest of your time with the pets.

Badbabysitter

Portsmouth
Lmao, boy did you get put in a position. Pet sitting for inlaws! No, that can't go bad lol.
You are brave!
Glad you found us though. So you don't need to panic any more.
In fact you dont even need to say a word to the inlaws if you don't want too. That one little piece will never show itself in any way. Well, maybe in the poop, but not likely to be seen.
Enjoy the rest of your time with the pets.
Oh man you have truly calmed me down! Thank you! They have a pig, a dog, the tort, some Guineas and an ancient cat and I REALLY thought the tortoise would be the least effort I WAS WRONG ?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
If your not sure of the species share pics and it can be identified. Some tortoise enjoy a shallow warm soak in a high sided container and it can encourage poo and drinking.
It may be nice to do if you have time and give it a change of scenery.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'm glad he's getting a bigger home he needs it, Tell your in laws 4 x 8 feet is the minimum he needs but the bigger the better.
Best not to let him wander around the house ,as you've discovered, and because they hate change so he could be stressed. When you do get a chance to take him in the garden keep your eye on him - they are faster than you think and can be under a hedge or through gaps in fences in the blink of an eye!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm glad he's getting a bigger home he needs it, Tell your in laws 4 x 8 feet is the minimum he needs but the bigger the better.
Best not to let him wander around the house ,as you've discovered, and because they hate change so he could be stressed. When you do get a chance to take him in the garden keep your eye on him - they are faster than you think and can be under a hedge or through gaps in fences in the blink of an eye!
Actually, if it's a marinated as Yvonne said, I believe, I may be wrong, they need a much bigger enclosure then what a 4x8 holds. 4x8 is Russians and hermanns.

Badbabysitter

Portsmouth
If your not sure of the species share pics and it can be identified. Some tortoise enjoy a shallow warm soak in a high sided container and it can encourage poo and drinking.
It may be nice to do if you have time and give it a change of scenery.
Definitely have time, will find a nice big bucket and give it a clean and let him have a little soak. Presumably a shallow soak? Just on his belly…shell?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Definitely have time, will find a nice big bucket and give it a clean and let him have a little soak. Presumably a shallow soak? Just on his belly…shell?
Just a little past where the top and bottom shell meet. Make sure the water is warm but not hot.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Luke warm water to just under chin. If you have a spare and clean cat litter tray or something similar with higher sides that may be better so he can move about a bit.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Luke warm water to just under chin. If you have a spare and clean cat litter tray or something similar with higher sides that may be better so he can move about a bit.
Just under chin? That could be dangerous. If the tort is standing or has his head stretched, that could be a lot of water.
Rule of thumb has always been just past where the two shells meet.
Maybe if you are going to say chin, explain the position of the tort and maybe that it's for adults/larger not little ones.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Just under chin? That could be dangerous. If the tort is standing or has his head stretched, that could be a lot of what.
Rule of thumb has always been just past where the two shells meet.
Maybe if you are going to say chin, explain the position of the tort.
Point taken. :)
My tort always lays flat on his plastron and stretches all his legs out when he has his soak - I shouldn't assume other torts do the same.

Last edited:

Badbabysitter

Portsmouth
648D245F-46EF-48E8-AB02-22E7DE11CAE8.jpegThe little explorer is in his safe in his outside run and having a nice busy day and having a bit of sun (he has a house for shade) Thank you everyone for the advise! And reassurance! I had no idea tortoises we’re so niche and that the tort community was so helpful!