tort table designs - things to include

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
The pools at most places (and sandboxes) will be seasonal and should already be sold out. Christmas items are now being stocked. Which is good, because like mentioned the rubbermaid conatiners are great. At Christmas (meaning they should be in stock now or real soon) are ones for wrapping paper. They tend to be a little larger in size, but not so much depth. With your wee ones, they would be deep enough to hold them.

Am seeing a lot of the pools coming onto Freecycle (this areas Craig's list) and also those cute turtle sand boxes by Little Tykes (I believe).

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Actually Vegas Chad, you can use things like meshed pens.
I use them all the time, and my tortoises never try to escape.

Indoor, you can use rabbit cage.

barbie69

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
I was able to purchase an outdoor pond for $35 on craigslist as well as 3 sandboxes at $10 each :D!! My boss also brough me her son's old sandbox for free and it is HUGE!! I am so excited to get them all set up!!
I did ask this on another thread but I thought I would ask here too....where do you all get your soil for the soil/sand mix that everyone says is the "best" substrate? I would like to try this for at least one of the enclosures to see if I like it, but I don't have a clue what soil to use.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
I use organic top soil mixed with play sand 50/50 for large enclosures. For smaller enclosures I use Bed-A-Beast (the coco shreds) mixed with play sand 50/50. The bedabeast/coco bricks are not that cheap, like $5 for one brick that will make enough coco bedding for a 40 gallon tank. Its not much when it all expands.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D:D I remember the first time I saw one of those bricks. I thought folks were crazy and it would not make much bedding. Then I plopped one in the water in a large bowl and it just kept expanding and falling over the sides.:D

Some of them do a great job of expanding, but others take a little longer. Not sure the whys to that. Same brands and same water temps, but not always the same speed and ease of expanding.

I do like the fact they come in the nice neat little bricks from the store. Easier to pick up and bring home.

barbie69

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
Hmmmm I think I like the idea of the coconut fiber stuff better that dirt. I wonder how many bricks I would need for a sandbox if I do the 50/50 split. How often do you do a complete cleaning(remove and replace all the bedding)?
Thanks for the help!!:D

chilieo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Delaware
Just to let everyone know.....kiddie pools are ONLY summer seasonal. I've found that out the hard way. I can't even find anyone, currently, that is willing to get rid of one. So, as an FYI - went and got a Walmart Tree Box it's approximately 4 feet long by 2 ft wide. So, far it's great plenty of room for GT to roam.

Any suggestions for adding things into this environment? ? ? (rocks, excercise, etc.) I currently have a hide-a-log and a water "bowl", but that's about it. (o, minus the substrate of bed-a-beast and cypress bed.

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
barbie69 said:
How often do you do a complete cleaning(remove and replace all the bedding)?

I change the coconut substrate completely more or less every 2 months. But I have a baby tort still and I spot clean everyday.

I personally don't add any sand, but have added flat (and also round) stones to the enclosure to improve what I like to call "the footing experience". LOL

Lori J

5 Year Member
New York
Flying Jenny said:
Here is the first tort table we have built for our Hermann's. He loves the two level thing and goes up and down the "stairs" on a daily basis. He is bigger now than he was in these pictures and has a larger habi-hut and a larger water bowl. We are going to build him a bigger version of this habitat around Christmas time so he has more room to move. The tray that has the weeds in it is a plastic silverware tray from Target. We bought a bunch of them and planted them with weeds so that we can switch them out after he eats up all the weeds.

i know this is an older post..but nice home. where did you get the logs from? they are a great idea.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Josh said:
hi guys,
if you saw my other thread you know that i might be adopting a couple of desert tortoises :)
im going to need to build them an awesome tortoise table and im calling on all tfo posters to help me include all the essential functions of a tort table. if you have designs, dimensions, or tips please post them!

thanks!

One thing ... about DT's. . .. they love to dig and burrow..... and most so called " Tort ~ TABLES" ... are not deep enough to accomidate this. If making one I would not only worry about the square footage ,but also the depth of it to help satisfy this natural urge and keep your tort happy.
JD~:)
*on a side note*
My first DT was obtained in 1973. 3 still in the family and my aunts is going on 32 years with her!

Josh said:
i went to walmart target toys r us and petco today to look for a kiddie pool. no dice.
i posted a bunch of craigslist wanted ads but all ive gotten in return is someone suggesting i check Food4Less stores...
:(

Josh ....
try CVS...Thriftys .. or longs ..drug store "type"...belive it or not they start to carry those this time of year!
JD~

Status
Not open for further replies.