Tortise poop

Mo Mende

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego

Does anyone know about tortise poop? It's almost a white/clear color. Should I be concerned?

Rt1jen

Hi, the pee is usually the whitish color. I've never seen tort poop white.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I can't view the picture, but it's probably just urates, which is completely normal and healthy! It comes out of their pee, not poop :)

Mo Mende

San Diego
Oh thank goodness! Ok sorry, I'm still learning, the hubbs had to go on a business trip and here I am with the baby torts and I'm a mom to boot, so every little thing worries me like it was my 1st baby all over again! He's not gaining weight and seems dis-interested in everything from dandelion leaves and flowers to hibiscus, grass, lettuce, and tortise pellets. Any suggestions?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Oh thank goodness! Ok sorry, I'm still learning, the hubbs had to go on a business trip and here I am with the baby torts and I'm a mom to boot, so every little thing worries me like it was my 1st baby all over again! He's not gaining weight and seems dis-interested in everything from dandelion leaves and flowers to hibiscus, grass, lettuce, and tortise pellets. Any suggestions?
How long ago did you get him? Sometimes they don't eat the first week. But the diet sounds pretty good!

Rt1jen

Lol. It's cool you sound a bit like me. I'm protective as heck over my boy. Radiccio, endive/chicory/ frisee are all good choices. Give it a go and see what happens. GL:)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi, Mo; and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum. :)
Yup, that's just urates as has been suggested, just the waste product of protein digestion, perfectly normal.
How long have you had the tortoise, what species is it and what are the temperatures in the enclosure ?

Mo Mende

San Diego
Thank you ... We've had him about 2 months ...Temperature controlled above 80° and humidity at ~90%give or take I'll try the other things for food and see how it goes... thank you! IMG_1212.JPG

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What kind of tortoise are we talking about here?

Rt1jen

Ummm no I do not. If you post on a thread I've responded to my phone flashes. Sorry, I won't bother you again.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Thank you ... We've had him about 2 months ...Temperature controlled above 80° and humidity at ~90%give or take I'll try the other things for food and see how it goes... thank you! View attachment 216582
Hi and welcome to the Forum! Love your enclosure! Looks like perfect set up for small tort. What species is your tortoise?

Mo Mende

San Diego
He's an African leopard, pardalis... I think I might need a vet, he still is not pooping and wants nothing to do with food Anyone know a good reptile vet in San Diego?