tortoise age

Totu

Location (City and/or State)
Lebanon
Hello so I recently adopted a male tortoise and I want to at least be able to have an age range in mind. he fits in my hand perfectly but I do have relatively smaller hands than the average 22 y.o. lol(he does also have a big gash on his shell but it is definitly very old and healed ). It's mating season so I know for sure that he is of mating age cause he did flash me today and tmi but I was really concerned it was a prolapse did soak him in sugar dissolved water poor guy was just horny but in my defense it was huge and he was extremely uncomfortable well at least from my perspective... (honorable mention: he is not I repeat NOT a biter never did no matter how I touched him but today he kinda bumped his nose on my fingers multiple times then lightly bit my finger.. what does that mean?)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Need pictures to help give a guess of age, but it would only be a guess.
Flashing you does not mean he is of breeding age. It just means he is maturing.
A prolapse would need a sugar paste, not sugar water soak.
You might want to read the caresheet on this forum for your species.
I have a feeling you got info from other sources then this forum. Most if not all info out there is wrong.

Totu

Lebanon
Need pictures to help give a guess of age, but it would only be a guess.
Flashing you does not mean he is of breeding age. It just means he is maturing.
A prolapse would need a sugar paste, not sugar water soak.
You might want to read the caresheet on this forum for your species.
I have a feeling you got info from other sources then this forum. Most if not all info out there is wrong.
I read that most prolapses do not go back in right?(didn't explain that well but it was just for a moment that he took it out it wasn't stuck) Also spot on I just stumbled across this form but I read a lot and yes most blogs did say sugar paste(also water) but a guy on yt did soak his tort in sugar dissolved water so I did that as well since his now I know is penis was not sticking out to put a paste on. he is sleeping now I don't want to disturb him so this an old pic of him. I did also have a hard time determining his species but I am positive he's mediterranean. (are romaine lettuce and dandelion good with occasional fruits?)
also thank you so much for your help where can I find the care sheet?

Attachments

• IMG_6893.jpg
    IMG_6893.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes a prolapse won't go back in. He was just showing off.
If they have a prolapse it has to be kept moist, not dry out and the sugar paste is suppose to help shrink it so it can be pulled back in or pushed in by the human. Tortoises can absorb water in their soaks so don't add sugar to the soak. Most tortoises can't have fruit because of the high sugar content. Sugar messes up their gut flora.
I cant tell by the pic what kind he is. Post a few pics tomorrow when he is up of front back top and bottom.
Do not feed fruit and more variety needs to be added.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Here's the care sheet for you...

He may have nipped your finger because it smelled like food, or maybe had some color on it from something you handled.

Or you had just been touching his 'parts' and he was saying "get away from that!'

Or you had just been touching his 'parts' and he was saying "come closer, my dear..."

You'll have to figure out which it was! ?

There are lots of Lebanons. Are you in the country, or one of the multiple cities in the US? Just wondering...sometimes it makes a difference in the advice we offer.

Totu

Lebanon
Yes a prolapse won't go back in. He was just showing off.
If they have a prolapse it has to be kept moist, not dry out and the sugar paste is suppose to help shrink it so it can be pulled back in or pushed in by the human. Tortoises can absorb water in their soaks so don't add sugar to the soak. Most tortoises can't have fruit because of the high sugar content. Sugar messes up their gut flora.
I cant tell by the pic what kind he is. Post a few pics tomorrow when he is up of front back top and bottom.
Do not feed fruit and more variety needs to be added.
I'm really bad at taking pics but I tried my best this is the sweetest boi

Attachments

• IMG_6894.JPG
    IMG_6894.JPG
    976.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6895.JPG
    IMG_6895.JPG
    895.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6898.JPG
    IMG_6898.JPG
    843.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6901.JPG
    IMG_6901.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6903.JPG
    IMG_6903.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6904.JPG
    IMG_6904.JPG
    990 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6905.JPG
    IMG_6905.JPG
    990.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6902.JPG
    IMG_6902.JPG
    981.3 KB · Views: 14

Totu

Lebanon
Here's the care sheet for you...

He may have nipped your finger because it smelled like food, or maybe had some color on it from something you handled.

Or you had just been touching his 'parts' and he was saying "get away from that!'

Or you had just been touching his 'parts' and he was saying "come closer, my dear..."

You'll have to figure out which it was! ?

There are lots of Lebanons. Are you in the country, or one of the multiple cities in the US? Just wondering...sometimes it makes a difference in the advice we offer.
LOL I knew there would be confusion with the location Lebanon the country and not a lot of options available here to take care of a tortoise.
Thank you so much for the help.
This sweet boi was in my aunts yard with his mom and siblings(dunno where they went) but it wasn't safe there. Her small yard is in the back of her country house and it doesn't have a fence thus the mother after being there for 10 years fell onto the street and got ran-over ;(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am not sure what it is. But others will know. @HermanniChris likely a greek or Hermanns. I believe the care is the same.
It is likely native to where you live and should have been left in the wild.
These pictures he does look bigger so he may be an adult but not sure on that.
See what the others that can positively ID him have to say.