tortoise and dog??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel Carrion

Location (City and/or State)
Douglassville, PA
She literally just keeps laughing about it and telling me to 'f**k off'!! I've told her she'll be paying vet bills and she finds it funny.
I am going to be out of here very soon, im only here temporarily before I go back to uni so I won't be here forever.
Oh my god what the hell is wrong with this lady?! You said before your grandfather understood? Could you explain it to him and show him the threads warning against dog-tort interaction and she him the damage the dog has done so far and explain to him the vet bills and how he and his idiot wife will have to pay the thousands of dollars?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
for those of you saying sticker with the bill do you honestly think she would pay? she has to be taken to court small claim and sued good luck in trying to find a judge 2 award damages like thatI honestly don't see it happening

Alaskamike

South Florida
Your grandma doesn't care. I'm sorry , an unusual situation for sure.
From your post of her reaction it's apparent there is no fixing this other than moving.
Or a padlock on the enclosure area. Only one key !

Sometimes it is difficult to care properly for animals when your living situation changes. If it is possible , I'd never leave the tortoise outside again. Unless I was there. Enclose the indoor table and put a padlock on it.

Reasoning with an unreasonable person is futile. So is fighting and arguing. Ignorance coupled with stubbornness is intractable. Give it up and protect the tortoise.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You need to move out right away or put your tortoise in foster care. Too much can happen in 4 weeks. Don't bring that tortoise back to that house again ever. The animal can take 4 weeks of protective custody. Even if it's not ideal, it's better than the continuous escalation of risk and damage.

Whatever the problem is with your nan, you can't fix her. You must actively protect your tortoise. If anything further happens now, it will be your responsibility for failing to take adequate steps. You wouldn't knowingly allow a child molester to babysit your child, or set a baby in front of a moving train.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
That's exactly it. Had I not come home early from work the other day my tort would have been dead or injured as she found it funny to allow him to wander the house and end up near or tumble dryer - he almost went up the tube!
She constantly just does everything I ask her not to. Percy today will spend his time locked in my room until I'm home
X
Hi. I do not mean to frighten you, but please take care of your tort.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
I don't mean this to sound judgmental or insulting, but does Sly Nan have some sort of mental illness or functional or cognitive disability? Her behaviour is very concerning and certainly poses a danger to your tort. Get you and your tort out of there as soon as possible, and keep him locked up in the meantime. It is better for him in the long run that he remains locked up and away from her until you can change his accommodations, better a grumpy tort than a dead one.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I don't mean this to sound judgmental or insulting, but does Sly Nan have some sort of mental illness or functional or cognitive disability? Her behaviour is very concerning and certainly poses a danger to your tort. Get you and your tort out of there as soon as possible, and keep him locked up in the meantime. It is better for him in the long run that he remains locked up and away from her until you can change his accommodations, better a grumpy tort than a dead one.
I agree with this and have thought the same question.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
First off , I feel sorry for your Tort !
m1512.gif
I cant believe what I am reading !
m0946.gif
If I didn't want you, or your Tort in my home , and were too bashful to say so I know how I would act . Just like your Nan ! I hope this wont sound mean , but she has made herself clear . I think a decision should have been made a long time before things got this far , no one can tell you what to do , the decision is up to you .
m1516.gif

immiexxo

UK
I think the problem is that previously, the dog had been allowed near the tortoise. It was only that I was reading a post on here the other night that I realised it wasn't worth taking the risk of letting the near each other so informed my nan.
She loves her dog, they treat it like a child, they've never ever left it alone and literally in their eyes it can do no wrong.

So when I mentioned to her I didn't want the dog near the tort, she got really funny with me saying her dog isn't vicious. Both grandparents love the tortoise and it's only now that I've made it clear I don't want the dog near him that my nan has started being rude and bitchy.
Since the incident yesterday my nan has stuck to not letting the dog near the tortoise. She has made some sly comments and got annoyed when I again mentioned the dog is vicious but is now respecting my wishes.

I think a lot of people on here are very rude. I've come on here as this is the first time I've owned a tortoise and I'm looking for help and advice and I'm being grilled.
Thank you to those of you who have helped. Think I may leave now though. Not very welcoming!

immiexxo

UK
First off , I feel sorry for your Tort !
m1512.gif
I cant believe what I am reading !
m0946.gif
If I didn't want you, or your Tort in my home , and were too bashful to say so I know how I would act . Just like your Nan ! I hope this wont sound mean , but she has made herself clear . I think a decision should have been made a long time before things got this far , no one can tell you what to do , the decision is up to you .
m1516.gif

It's not like that at all. She is just very very protective over the dog. If she didn't and doesn't want me here, I have other places I can go.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I think the problem is that previously, the dog had been allowed near the tortoise. It was only that I was reading a post on here the other night that I realised it wasn't worth taking the risk of letting the near each other so informed my nan.
She loves her dog, they treat it like a child, they've never ever left it alone and literally in their eyes it can do no wrong.

So when I mentioned to her I didn't want the dog near the tort, she got really funny with me saying her dog isn't vicious. Both grandparents love the tortoise and it's only now that I've made it clear I don't want the dog near him that my nan has started being rude and bitchy.
Since the incident yesterday my nan has stuck to not letting the dog near the tortoise. She has made some sly comments and got annoyed when I again mentioned the dog is vicious but is now respecting my wishes.

I think a lot of people on here are very rude. I've come on here as this is the first time I've owned a tortoise and I'm looking for help and advice and I'm being grilled.
Thank you to those of you who have helped. Think I may leave now though. Not very welcoming!
People on here are not being rude. They are careing people who are worried, i have watched this thread from the start, and not said a thing up until wanting to see some photos. You were saying things that got me worried for you, never mind your tort. As for yvonnes post, I was starting to think the same. After all weve had scammers pretending to have critical illnesses before.

immiexxo

UK
People on here are not being rude. They are careing people who are worried, i have watched this thread from the start, and not said a thing up until wanting to see some photos. You were saying things that got me worried for you, never mind your tort. As for yvonnes post, I was starting to think the same. After all weve had scammers pretending to have critical illnesses before.

What could I possibly have said that would make you worry for me?
I'm not pretending to have anything wrong with me I was merely seeking advice on whether dogs and torts could potentially get on or whether it's a no no?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I'm not pretending to have anything wrong with me I was merely seeking advice on whether dogs and torts could potentially get on or whether it's a no no?

Honestly, having a family member repeatedly ignore your wishes to keep your pet safe and telling you to f-off had me worried for you too. Your situation is quite unusual and it sounded like you were in an unhealthy living situation. I'm glad that it sounds like you and your nan have had more productive chats now.

immiexxo

UK
You need to move out right away or put your tortoise in foster care. Too much can happen in 4 weeks. Don't bring that tortoise back to that house again ever. The animal can take 4 weeks of protective custody. Even if it's not ideal, it's better than the continuous escalation of risk and damage.

Whatever the problem is with your nan, you can't fix her. You must actively protect your tortoise. If anything further happens now, it will be your responsibility for failing to take adequate steps. You wouldn't knowingly allow a child molester to babysit your child, or set a baby in front of a moving train.

A bit drastic?!
The grandparents have both been a lot more understanding today and have kept the dog locked inside for a couple of hours while the tortoise had a roam in the garden. They also blocked all areas around the enclosure with just random garden items to ensure the dog couldn't even see or get near Percy.

I think they also had a fright last night when the dog scratched him x

immiexxo

UK
Honestly, having a family member repeatedly ignore your wishes to keep your pet safe and telling you to f-off had me worried for you too. Your situation is quite unusual and it sounded like you were in an unhealthy living situation. I'm glad that it sounds like you and your nan have had more productive chats now.

Evidently not British if this is unusual haha.

Like I've previously said, I think they were just being over protective of the dog and she just took it to far with her awkward attitude problem. I think she thought I was being awkward and rude when I said about not wanting my tortoise near the dog after having let them roam together previously.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well it sounded like you was in a bad position at home. Maybe it came across wrong on paper (text). Also I'm British, if my nan f'd and blinded at me and laughed when the dog got my tort I would be slightly concerned. Anyway glad you sorted it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
remember the dog isn't vicious its just being a dog that's what people love their dog don't grass. Of course the dog is not vicious it's just a dog dogs chew

Status
Not open for further replies.