Tortoise and parrot

Peanut_the_parrot

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle WA
I have been researching tortoises for a few months now. I plan on doing a few months more research before I commit to a tortoise. I have come across a few questions and concerns I can't seem to find answers to:

1. I currently own a Jenday Conure Parrot. Is it unsafe to keep a tortoise and a parrot in the same air space? I am most concerned about parasites, airborne viruses, bacterial infections from them being in the same air space. (I currently live in a small studio apartment, but plan to move into a house with-in the next year, if that makes any difference).

2. As I live in a small studio apartment in Seattle, my potential tortoise will not have access to outdoor sunshine for the first year. I was planning on housing him indoors in an open air tortoise table (approx. 4x5ft) next to my back door that is well insulated so that he can receive some natural sunlight. Will this be sufficient if I also provide UV and UVB lighting?

3. Since I live in Seattle WA, time outdoors will be limited to the days we get warm/hot summer days which can be few and far in between. I was planning on only allowing outdoor grazing above temperatures of 80 degrees (with shade hides). At what temperature is unsafe for my tortoise to be outside?

4. I am planning on growing tortoise grasses using tortoise seed mixes that I found online. I also plan on putting my green thumb to the test and propagating tortoise-safe succulents, spineless prickly pear, hibiscus, etc indoors and outdoors for a varied diet for my tortoise year-round. Has any one had luck growing these varieties in the Pacific Northwest regions, mainly Seattle?

5. I am planning on adopting either a Russian or Greek tortoise from a local animal shelter. Do you think I will have success with this species of tortoise in the cold, rainy environment of Seattle? Or should I abandon my desire to own a tortoise in Seattle WA for the tortoises well-being and life health?

Information or opinions are appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Good questions.

1. Sharing a cage with access to each others feces would pose a risk, but the risk is negligible if they are in separate cages in the same room.
2. You will need to buy the right types of UV lamps and a good UV meter. The best UV lamp and fixture would be an Arcadia 12% HO bulb and it will run about $100, and the meter is around $250. It can be done and done well, but don't skimp here.
3. If its sunny, dry and not windy, even tropical tortoises can go out at 65F. A russian or greek could potentially be out at 55. You'll need an infrared temp gun to check surface temps in the area where you want to sun your tortoise.
4. Lots of people do this and there are lots of threads here with all sorts of ideas. You should have no trouble with this one.
5. Many people keep those species in the PNW. You should not have any trouble with either.

Here is some care info for russians. Greek info is pretty similar:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum from the other side of the mountains. I keep Russians and leopards.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
We have Speedy , our Sully , an Indian Ringneck , and 2 Parrotlets . We have had no problems , since they really don't intermingle , I would suggest hand sanitizer when going from one to the other to cut down the possibility of any cross contamination . ;)