Tortoise parrot question

FriendlyTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting a tortoise soon (not sure which species, maybe a Hermann's) and I was wondering whether it is ok to place their enclosure near a parrot cage in the same room?

Has anyone done this before? is it safe for both parties? I'm thinking about any germs/diseases that can be spread to one another, parrots are sensitive to fumes in the air so is that a problem with tortoises poop? etc. But neither will interact with eachother.

Thanks

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting a tortoise soon (not sure which species, maybe a Hermann's) and I was wondering whether it is ok to place their enclosure near a parrot cage in the same room?

Has anyone done this before? is it safe for both parties? I'm thinking about any germs/diseases that can be spread to one another, parrots are sensitive to fumes in the air so is that a problem with tortoises poop? etc. But neither will interact with eachother.

Thanks
It should be no problem.

Just FYI, it is generally true that parasites, bacteria, and viruses which can live in cold-blooded host animals do not survive in warm-blooded host animals and vice-versa. However, that is not always the case, so caution and good sterile technique when servicing the cages/enclosures of the different animals is still advisable.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Thanks
Well first, hello and welcome!

Second thing is: What species of parrot and where are the darn pictures of said animal??? (Most of us here love all sorts of animals in addition to our tortoises and would love to see what you've got...)

Finally, to answer your question, I have lots of parrots and lots of tortoises living in close proximity daily. There is no issue. I would use basic sanitary practices like washing hands between animals, and having dedicated equipment and cleaning utensils for each, but there should be no issues. Obviously, neither should have contact with the other's droppings.

Wanna see my newest birdy? Well here he is:
Yearling copy.jpg

And here is the tortoise care info that you will need:

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Well first, hello and welcome!

Second thing is: What species of parrot and where are the darn pictures of said animal??? (Most of us here love all sorts of animals in addition to our tortoises and would love to see what you've got...)

Finally, to answer your question, I have lots of parrots and lots of tortoises living in close proximity daily. There is no issue. I would use basic sanitary practices like washing hands between animals, and having dedicated equipment and cleaning utensils for each, but there should be no issues. Obviously, neither should have contact with the other's droppings.

Wanna see my newest birdy? Well here he is:
View attachment 363488

And here is the tortoise care info that you will need:
Gorgeous!

ofafeather

Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
I have lots of parrots and lots of tortoises living in close proximity daily.
He’s beautiful! What other types of parrots do you have? We’re looking at ways to give Kora (our recently rescued Sulcata) maximum space in winter and are thinking of combining our bird and tortoise space. You mentioned the main concern being fecal contamination. We typically let our smaller birds free in the from at different times. The cockatiels largely stay by their own cage but our PGCC usually explores the whole space. The larger parrots are not out unsupervised and the tiniest birds (parakeets and finches) don’t like to come out of their cage.

In general, their poop pattern is easy to track. It’s largely where they hang out so we can take precautions. Do you think a little stray poop from the birds may be an issue? What about cockatoo dander?
Many thanks as always!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He’s beautiful! What other types of parrots do you have? We’re looking at ways to give Kora (our recently rescued Sulcata) maximum space in winter and are thinking of combining our bird and tortoise space. You mentioned the main concern being fecal contamination. We typically let our smaller birds free in the from at different times. The cockatiels largely stay by their own cage but our PGCC usually explores the whole space. The larger parrots are not out unsupervised and the tiniest birds (parakeets and finches) don’t like to come out of their cage.

In general, their poop pattern is easy to track. It’s largely where they hang out so we can take precautions. Do you think a little stray poop from the birds may be an issue? What about cockatoo dander?
Many thanks as always!
I'm sure it will be obvious once you tell me, but PGCC? Google says its Prince George's Community College.

I have 11 parrots: 2 cockatoos, 5 amazons, 3 macaws, and a caique. Also three canaries, dozens of pigeons, chickens, 6 emu, and 2 Harris hawks.

I've never heard of cockatoo dander being an issue for tortoises, but I'd keep poop contamination to a minimum. All my tortoises live outside and all the birds in the area poop in their enclosures from time to time, but this would be different with constant contact in an indoor environment.

ofafeather

Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
I'm sure it will be obvious once you tell me, but PGCC?
I hate acronyms sometimes and catch myself using them for convenience when it’s really inconvenient for others. Sorry! Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Thanks for your reply! Appreciate it. Sounds like a great flock!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I hate acronyms sometimes and catch myself using them for convenience when it’s really inconvenient for others. Sorry! Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Thanks for your reply! Appreciate it. Sounds like a great flock!
Ohhhhh... Its the pineapple part that threw me. I'm not familiar with that one.

We had two conures where I went to school. It was those two that convinced me that I never wanted a conure. Their names were Earache and Deafness.