Tortoise appetite

Albee vw

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hi, I have 6 months old baby sulcata named kiwi. Two weeks ago he got flue and he lost his appetite. I brought him to vet and now he's free from flue but still same for his appetite. He usually eats a lot but now he only eats few bite of veggie. I've set up fixed temperature, lighting, and humidity at his crib, and I use Coco husk and spaghnum moss for his substrate. He also get change to bask under sunlight and soak with warm water every day. His length is 6 cm with weight of 107 gram

Now for my questions:
1) how to add my tortoise appetite?
2) is both substrate good for tortoise?
3) Does my tortoise has normal weight?

- Thank you

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hi! So tortoise weights vary a lot so it's hard to say if that is a normal weight. Coco coir is a good substrate but some people have trouble with the spagnum moss because the tortoise might eat it and become impacted.

What is the temperature of the enclosure? What's the temp in the basking spot? What is the humidity? If the temperature and humidity is not right your baby won't eat.

This thread will help...
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...atchlings-and-babies-discussion-thread.18448/

Albee vw

Indonesia
Hi! So tortoise weights vary a lot so it's hard to say if that is a normal weight. Coco coir is a good substrate but some people have trouble with the spagnum moss because the tortoise might eat it and become impacted.

What is the temperature of the enclosure? What's the temp in the basking spot? What is the humidity? If the temperature and humidity is not right your baby won't eat.

This thread will help...
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...atchlings-and-babies-discussion-thread.18448/

The temperature is 30°C in his enc and 34° at his basking spot. The humidity is 75% - 85%
I'll check the tread and thanks for your help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I have 6 months old baby sulcata named kiwi. Two weeks ago he got flue and he lost his appetite. I brought him to vet and now he's free from flue but still same for his appetite. He usually eats a lot but now he only eats few bite of veggie. I've set up fixed temperature, lighting, and humidity at his crib, and I use Coco husk and spaghnum moss for his substrate. He also get change to bask under sunlight and soak with warm water every day. His length is 6 cm with weight of 107 gram

Now for my questions:

- Thank you
They don't get the flu. They get respiratory infections. Those are usually due to cold temp with dampness, most often at night. Have you corrected this problem? Does your tortoise have night heat now?

1. The appetite will come back over time as the tortoise recovers, as long as temperatures are kept warm.
2. Coco coir is safe to use, but I find it too messy. The moss is not safe because they will eat it and it can cause impaction, which can make them lose appetite. Fine grade orchid bark works best. Also called fir bark.
3. Weight sounds fine for a 6 month old.

Albee vw

Indonesia
They don't get the flu. They get respiratory infections. Those are usually due to cold temp with dampness, most often at night. Have you corrected this problem? Does your tortoise have night heat now?

1. The appetite will come back over time as the tortoise recovers, as long as temperatures are kept warm.
2. Coco coir is safe to use, but I find it too messy. The moss is not safe because they will eat it and it can cause impaction, which can make them lose appetite. Fine grade orchid bark works best. Also called fir bark.

About lighting I have both day and night lamp, I use exoterra infrared light for night and intestine basking light for day, and now he has recovered from respiratory infection but not for his appetite. Can I know what's the fixed temperature for sulcata tortoise and the humidity? And what about the bulb? Can I use that one? Thanks for your help and attention ☺️

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
About lighting I have both day and night lamp, I use exoterra infrared light for night and intestine basking light for day, and now he has recovered from respiratory infection but not for his appetite. Can I know what's the fixed temperature for sulcata tortoise and the humidity? And what about the bulb? Can I use that one? Thanks for your help and attention [emoji5]

Neither of those bulbs should be used. They can see both the color and light of colored bulbs, and it keeps them awake while potentially making them eat their substrate. The “intense basking bulb” is too desiccating on their shell, and causes pyramiding.

Sulcata tortoises should have a basking spot of 95-100, and temps never falling below 80 in the coolest part of the enclosure day or night. Humidity should be as high as you can get it, or 80-100%.

For lighting and heating, you should use a 65 watt Phillips flood bulb(says BR30 on the box), and a ceramic heat emitter or radiant heat panel to keep temps above 80 at night and for the ambient.

Please share pictures of your enclosure.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum, @Albee vw .

Please post pics of your tort and his enclosure.

Torts do not like change. Therefore they take time to get adapted to it. Change as well as relatively cold weather might have effect on a tort's appetite.

Changa

Ca
Welcome!
I love the forum. I am a new member I have adopted two Sulcata (1 yr and 2 yr) and for me I post my concerns and u don’t wait long for a response from the veteran members who have “A whole lot of first hand experience “ and they share this knowledge with us “new member” with our tortoise or turtle

Now for my questions:

- Thank you

Now for my questions:

- Thank you

Albee vw

Indonesia
Neither of those bulbs should be used. They can see both the color and light of colored bulbs, and it keeps them awake while potentially making them eat their substrate. The “intense basking bulb” is too desiccating on their shell, and causes pyramiding.

Sulcata tortoises should have a basking spot of 95-100, and temps never falling below 80 in the coolest part of the enclosure day or night. Humidity should be as high as you can get it, or 80-100%.

For lighting and heating, you should use a 65 watt Phillips flood bulb(says BR30 on the box), and a ceramic heat emitter or radiant heat panel to keep temps above 80 at night and for the ambient.

Please share pictures of your enclosure.

Thank you for the information

Last edited:

Albee vw

Indonesia
A very warm welcome to the forum, @Albee vw .

Please post pics of your tort and his enclosure.

Torts do not like change. Therefore they take time to get adapted to it. Change as well as relatively cold weather might have effect on a tort's appetite.

I've never change the enclosure since I adopt him. Thank you for the information

Albee vw

Indonesia
Welcome!
I love the forum. I am a new member I have adopted two Sulcata (1 yr and 2 yr) and for me I post my concerns and u don’t wait long for a response from the veteran members who have “A whole lot of first hand experience “ and they share this knowledge with us “new member” with our tortoise or turtle

Thank you for your warm welcome and Yes! I totally loveee the forum!

Changa

Ca

Now for my questions:

- Thank you
Dorey and Donna

Attachments

• 628EDCA6-6955-4369-97B5-E00C947D88F0.jpeg
    628EDCA6-6955-4369-97B5-E00C947D88F0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • B69258A8-BBB8-41C2-B067-8CF2E6F74E05.jpeg
    B69258A8-BBB8-41C2-B067-8CF2E6F74E05.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16

Changa

Ca

Tom
I posted my Dorey &Donna in regarding to pyramiding ur opinion pls

Attachments

• DCECA624-7454-496C-BB1D-565F24F309A7.jpeg
    DCECA624-7454-496C-BB1D-565F24F309A7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • 3A18C0B1-B5D8-49CB-951F-C54403E80222.jpeg
    3A18C0B1-B5D8-49CB-951F-C54403E80222.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11