Tortoise behaviour

Raquel1978

Location (City and/or State)
Swansea wales
About 2 weeks ago a friend of mine asked me if I wanted her nephews 2 year old Herman's, he was of to university and just didn't have the time for him.

Luckily we have the room for him and he is totally separate to my baby Herman's they have no interaction at all.

When we picked him up he was in a tiny little box which was what he had always been kept in so he now has a large enclosure I set him up exactly the same as my little one same substrate and lightning etc and apart from being a little dry and slight pyramydin he's very healthy.

He's always trying to climb we had to remove his flower pots his ramps everything that we had in there he was climbing on, he drags his food everywhere and is constantly pacing back and fore he just never seems like he's settled he's constantly trying to get out.

I'm so used to my little hatching I'm not sure if this is normal behavior for a 2 year old or if it's due to the fact he's lived in a very small environment for the past 2 years.

We are in the middle of building a outdoor enclosure for him only in the day tho weather permitting and I did take him in garden other day and put him in a old swimming pool with lots of grass and things he could eat and he seemed to enjoy that but the weather here in UK has changed and we are back to rain.

Even tho we have removed all the hazards he makes so much noise trying to climb the sides I'm constantly checking on him.
Will he settle down eventually? Or is this just his personality 😁.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
He may be trying to get back "home", probably until he realises that he IS home.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Let him get settled to his new home. He needs to check it out, make sure it's safe from Amy other intruders. He should settle in.
As for the hatchling, he should be in a closed chamber with high humidity to prevent pyramiding.
The two year old needs humidity too, 50% although he also could still be in a closed chamber for another year or so.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's going through relocation stress. Once he realizes the food god visits him with food and water on a regular basis he'll settle down and learn to enjoy his new space.

Raquel1978

Swansea wales
Let him get settled to his new home. He needs to check it out, make sure it's safe from Amy other intruders. He should settle in.
As for the hatchling, he should be in a closed chamber with high humidity to prevent pyramiding.
The two year old needs humidity too, 50% although he also could still be in a closed chamber for another year or so.
Thanks for the advice my little one has a greenhouse over his house so I will buy another one for the older one..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for the advice my little one has a greenhouse over his house so I will buy another one for the older one..
If the tortoise is full grown he doesn't need the same humidity as the baby. I don't thin another GH is necessary Just moisten the substrate.