Tortoise bleeding from nose

Ctraaaa

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello all,

we wrong our this morning and saw our tortoise had some type of nose bleed. He will be going to the vet on Monday. He’s acting normal, just had this odd hiccup... even before this he was completely normal. There are no other tortoises, and it doesn’t look like he rammed into his enclosed because there’s no blood anywhere else. Has anyone experienced this before?

5B7D63AC-CB13-4F3B-BDBA-D85DFDAB2AEF.jpeg2304940E-223B-4B14-865A-08B0494B6DAE.jpeg

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hello all,

we wrong our this morning and saw our tortoise had some type of nose bleed. He will be going to the vet on Monday. He’s acting normal, just had this odd hiccup... even before this he was completely normal. There are no other tortoises, and it doesn’t look like he rammed into his enclosed because there’s no blood anywhere else. Has anyone experienced this before?

Oh!!!!
That is so not good...
Could something be inside of him?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hello all,

View attachment 307255View attachment 307256

@Tom, @Yvonne

Ctraaaa

California
@Yvonne G , how would we pry it open? He will be going to the vet on Monday... so far he is acting completely normal walking eating etc. it was only the one instance of blood from this morning

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hello all,

hello???! You have stopped replying..?
Is he ok yet? Is he still bleeding? I can’t get you off my mind. I hope you are all ok.
I can’t imagine what it is?
Yvonne said to try to check in his mouth.
use a piece of lettuce and make him reach up in the air for it. When he opens his mouth take a picture quick!
yhe. You can look at it to see if you see anything... just trying to help...?
Please keep me updated and more posts please... he is a real beauty!!!! (Other wise)
What’s his name?
and I would keep his temps up while ge is recovering from any sickness.. or open wound.. 85-90.
@Tom

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Yvonne G , how would we pry it open? He will be going to the vet on Monday... so far he is acting completely normal walking eating etc. it was only the one instance of blood from this morning
Let's hope he didn't swallow a sharp object.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello all,

That is a pretty good amount of blood. The tongue is very vascular and would produce blood of that shade of red. There is a good chance that the tortoise may have cut his tongue on something. The tongue should stop bleeding and heal fairly quickly. I would recommend just cleaning off the face for now and seeing if any more blood materializes.

If the blood continues to flow copiously, there may be another problem which might require a vet visit before Monday.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Poor guy. Doesn't look good. My dog had the same thing happen. For him the puddle of blood was where he
rested his head. But then he woke up and his breathing made splatter. He had been acting sickly though.

Watch his behavior. Maybe the vet can come to your house or maybe a weekend vet his possible. Did he let you clean him ?

Ctraaaa

California
His behavior is all normal now, acting as if nothing ever happened. I did soak him earlier so there is no longer any blood. You really can’t tell if something happened this morning, his activity is really normal.
after cleaning I didn’t see any cuts or scratches. Impretty sure it was just that one instance this morning and that’s it.
pic is him after soak

Attachments

• 37DEA924-D13A-4276-9646-23A795E39EF2.jpeg
    37DEA924-D13A-4276-9646-23A795E39EF2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 84

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
His behavior is all normal now, acting as if nothing ever happened. I did soak him earlier so there is no longer any blood. You really can’t tell if something happened this morning, his activity is really normal.
after cleaning I didn’t see any cuts or scratches. Impretty sure it was just that one instance this morning and that’s it.
pic is him after soak

again... what a handsome boy..❤️

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Looks like the bleeding started above his nose and looks like had a “crack” possible he hit something?

Glad to see he is well. Beautiful tortoise ??❤️

Reactions: Ink

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Poor guy. Doesn't look good. My dog had the same thing happen. For him the puddle of blood was where he
rested his head. But then he woke up and his breathing made splatter. He had been acting sickly though.

Watch his behavior. Maybe the vet can come to your house or maybe a weekend vet his possible. Did he let you clean him ?

WELLLLLLL? What was wrong with your dog?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
pic is him after soak

Hello again....
well?....
It’s Monday!
What happened at the vet????
Sorry to be a worry wort but I have never seen a sulcata with a bloody nose???
I hope and pray you and him are doing well.
Regardless of what it was he deserves a treat for going through all of that. ???

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Well, since you asked, my 12 yr old beagle had MMM, (copied and pasted from Google
Masticatory muscle myositis (MMM) is an immune system disorder in which the dog's immune system identifies the dog's own muscle tissue as foreign and attacks it. The masticatory muscles are the muscles involved with chewing. MMM causes these muscles to become swollen and painful.
We noticed muscle wasting in the areas of his eyes/forehead area. A boney look to the head. Vet said usually it was a sign that there is
something else wrong with the dog. Trouble breathing started a few weeks later. X-rays didn't look good, but at the time, put on meds
to treat. His quality of life was declining, even though he still enjoyed eating & I would carry him out in the yard to sit, since he loved the outdoors. We had actually made an appointment for the vet to come to our house to put him down. But instead the night of his nasal hemorrhage, we called the vet at midnight and he met us at the office to open up and help us because Buster was past the point of any medical
assistance.
During his time taking meds, I declined doing a lung biopsy, since his behavior was clear that he wouldn't be with us long. Didn't want to put him through that procedure. Vet said that it was probably lung cancer since it was so aggressive.

1601332226340.png1601332270364.png

Last edited: