Tortoise box vs aquarium?

Mtown91

Location (City and/or State)
Corning
Baby sulcata that had some early pyramiding. I've corrected some husbandry issues since joining, by soaking more often and soaking the substrate more often. Currently in a zoomed tortoise box. I have a 48 by 12.5 inch aquarium I was considering moving him into.

I feel like the tortoise box is easier to achieve the temps but the aquarium would be easier to achieve adequate humidity with less struggles.
Thoughts? Is size appropriate? I would definitely tape something up to cover the sides.

nicoleann2214

NY
Baby sulcata that had some early pyramiding. I've corrected some husbandry issues since joining, by soaking more often and soaking the substrate more often. Currently in a zoomed tortoise box. I have a 48 by 12.5 inch aquarium I was considering moving him into.

I feel like the tortoise box is easier to achieve the temps but the aquarium would be easier to achieve adequate humidity with less struggles.
Thoughts? Is size appropriate? I would definitely tape something up to cover the sides.
I had the zoomed tortoise house. Its not gonna work you need humidity for the tortoise I suggest a closed chamber type set up, that will give you the right humidity and heat. @Tom has a lot of good care sheets for sulcata’s you can check out.

KronksMom

Illinois
Tortoises understand clear sides much better than previously believed. The issue with the aquarium would be the top, how to keep humidity from escaping through the screen top. But you can correct that by cutting tin foil to cover everywhere except for your lights. Or use something like a dollar store shower curtain draped over the entire set up, just be careful you aren't creating a fire hazard. As far as size goes, neither option you have will work very long. Even when they're small, tortoises need a lot of space to walk around in order to properly digest their food. Also, they need to be able to walk from one place to another in order to change their body temperature. So your set up needs to be big enough to provide several different micro climates. You can't achieve a good temperature range in such a small space. And since tortoises can't regulate their own temperature, that means your baby will only have the option of being one temperature all the time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Give this a read through: