Tortoise in Aquarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
What is everyones opinion on housing a baby sulcata in a aquarium? i have my 4 month old in a sweater box but it is not holding humidity well. I was thinking of putting him in an aquarium instead and it would also be easier so i can put the lights on top of the lid.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
lindseyjordan10 said:
What is everyones opinion on housing a baby sulcata in a aquarium? i have my 4 month old in a sweater box but it is not holding humidity well. I was thinking of putting him in an aquarium instead and it would also be easier so i can put the lights on top of the lid.

That will be fine, just keep him warm and keep the humidity up. Its best to cover the top of the aquarium to keep the heat and humidity in

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Aquariums hold humidity well. Just be sure it's a big enough aquarium so it holds everything g it needs and has room to roam. The largest size plastic tote storage boxes from places like Home Depot work just as good, you can join more then one together and easier to move around. Just an idea. Please read Toms threads below in my post if you haven't already.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Tortoise in Aquarium

lindseyjordan10 said:

I keep my little one in a big lizard aquarium. The sides are like 20 inches tall so I hang the lights inside the aquarium. Put the basking light and uv on a timer . I also have a che on a thermostat for night time. I pore a gallon of water into the enclosure two times a week and it keeps humidity up with a towel on top of the screen top. And they are easy to clean .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1374277367961.jpg
    1374277367961.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 105

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes they need room . It will be hard to get a basking spot of 95/100 and a cool side and warm side .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

irishshake

5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta
I think my 55 gallon is would be to small for my Hermann's tortoise. He was in there for a week and just hated it. I would not recommend it...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
lindseyjordan10 said:
Is a 10 gallon too small?

It's beyond "too small". Sorry, your going to need something much larger to fit in everything it needs and to have the temp variations.

dar64

5 Year Member
You can't use a timer with a mercury vapor light. It will break it. I spoke with the company. Not sure what yours is. I learned that the hard way.

Jacqui said:
lindseyjordan10 said:

It's beyond "too small". Sorry, your going to need something much larger to fit in everything it needs and to have the temp variations.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
If you go with a glass tank you are better off getting a 40-60gal. First. This way you wont have to keep buying one. By that time you will be able to keep him outdoors full time. Or just go with a table. Its best to start out largest. Otherwise you will keep wasting money...just my opinion...

J REED

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Tortoise in Aquarium

dar64 said:
You can't use a timer with a mercury vapor light. It will break it. I spoke with the company. Not sure what yours is. I learned that the hard way.

Jacqui said:
lindseyjordan10 said:

So your saying I cant use my timer on my powersun MVB to turn it on and off in 12 hr increments? What do u do always leave it on? That makes no sense

Jeremy

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
A well made timer will work fine to turn on and off a MVB....it is only to turn on and off (as you would if you were doing it manually)...you may be thinking of some type of electrical regulator as a device you would not want to use with an MVB....:D

dar64

5 Year Member
I was told by the company not to use a timer or it will break. I don't know why. Thats all I know. I did have one break. They also did said don't use anything with a dimmer. I would just double check on that. It would be nice to be able to use a timer.

ascott said:
A well made timer will work fine to turn on and off a MVB....it is only to turn on and off (as you would if you were doing it manually)...you may be thinking of some type of electrical regulator as a device you would not want to use with an MVB....:D

I turn it on and off manually. You may want to double check with the company. Thats what the person I spoke to stressed. Also no dimmers.

J REED said:
dar64 said:

Jacqui said:
lindseyjordan10 said:

So your saying I cant use my timer on my powersun MVB to turn it on and off in 12 hr increments? What do u do always leave it on? That makes no sense

Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.