Tortoise breeds

themacfile

Hi I need some help with tortoise care as at the moment i am struggling with breeds. First off i have recently ordered a new tortoise table for my house in England and would let my tortoise wonder around in the day and sleep with the protective lights at night, but i get quite paranoid so i do mot think it is a good idea to hibernate them and obviously they must be able to sleep in a tortoise table as well as fit in it. Please give me the name of the breed that fits theses requirments.

Thanks,
Tobes

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Actually, Tobes, no species fits that profile. It's really not a good idea to allow a tortoise (wild animal, not domesticated) to roam about the house. There are many dangers lurking on the floor that could make him ill or dead.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Yvonne. No tortoise should be roaming loose in a house. This often leads to disaster. Even in the garden, they need a dedicated enclosure.

Also, tables are okay for adults of some species, but it is very difficult to maintain any sort of conditions in the table that are different than the conditions in the room. The other problem with tables is that most of them are too small for most tortoises. Even the smaller species really ned a minimum of 4x8'.

It actually is a good idea to hibernate species that hibernate in the wild. Its not difficult and its very safe with a few easy steps. I do it every year. Hibernated all 20 2 year old russians last year and no problems.

There are no "breeds" of tortoises. The different types are all different species or subspecies.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Try making an enclosure from an old bookcase or two, or other pieces of wood.
It can be quite cheap and easy and much more suitable than a bought tortoise table.
Have a look at the enclosures forum here for some great ideas.
Bigger is always better.