Tortoise calcium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meggers

5 Year Member
I just got this calcium powder to put on my Russian tortoise's food. But when I gave to him today he only ate about half of his normal amount. And what he did eat was his normal food and left the powder. Dose that stuff taste gross and he will not eat it? Should I be worried if he doesn't eat it?
Any help would be amazing thx!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
You may have put to much on it, it doesn't take much and to much will change the taste of the food, if there is too much on it some tortoises willl not eat. Try a small pinch over the food and see how that goes.

Meggers

5 Year Member
dmarcus said:
You may have put to much on it, it doesn't take much and to much will change the taste of the food, if there is too much on it some tortoises willl not eat. Try a small pinch over the food and see how that goes.

Thx how often should I do this?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My guess would be every other feeding. Do you keep a cuttlebone in his enclosure? My boxies chew on theirs daily.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You want to lightly sprinkle it, you can use a salt or pepper shaker, and dust it lightly 2 to 3 times a week. Use to much and the smell can drive them away.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Taste it yourself. It is a bit nasty and bitter, and it makes the food look like it has powdery mildew.

You also don't need much if the diet is healthy- a small pinch 1-3 times a week is usually enough- I only do it once a week most of the time.

cljohnson

5 Year Member
When mine get finicky I dust a little Romain lettuce. I call it giving crack. Romain isn't the greatest food for them but they cant resist it. If it gets their calcium in them so be it.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
You can also use it on some juicy fruits (for fruit-eaters). The moisture hides the powder, and the flavor hides the taste.

Niki

5 Year Member
cljohnson said:
When mine get finicky I dust a little Romain lettuce. I call it giving crack. Romain isn't the greatest food for them but they cant resist it. If it gets their calcium in them so be it.

I do the same thing... My RT can't resist romain, so I sprinkle it on romain and she will eat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.