Tortoise doesn't like new enclosure

Adriel Vinson

Location (City and/or State)
Opelika, AL
I just moved my tortoise into a bigger enclosure. I put all of his decorations just like they were in his other one so that something would be familiar. But i don't think he likes it. He's pacing and won't sleep like he's just not sure about it yet. Any suggestions?

MountainFox

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Raleigh, NC
I’m not sure how much of a space difference there is between the old and new enclosures, but “pacing” could really just be exploring, or as I like to call it “patrolling”. Libbon, my 13 y/o redfoot loves to repeatedly walk the perimeter of wherever he is (yard, enclosure, room, etc). It’s like he’s a security guard making his rounds. He didn’t do this in his old enclosure with his previous owner, which was far too small. Your guy is probably just getting the lay of the land. If he has a cozy, secure hide, he might be sleeping when you aren’t looking.

Obviously I don’t know anything about your tort, but if he continues the pacing after he settles in, I don’t think it’s a behavior to be concerned about, probably part of his new routine. If you go from a studio apartment to a 3000sqft house, I bet you’d move around a lot more too!