Tortoise Drinking A TON of water

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ukiah Ca.
Do you soak her? and that temp dial thing, if you put three in there all would be different , I hope she didn't get the substrate in her mouth, sometimes this happens, good luck

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
She just did the gasping thing again...I noticed that she does it right under her light....? But after she does it once she goes back to normal activity. I have no idea

A tortoise does yawn...so if the tort is just yawning I would not worry...gasping is a repetitive behavior and if the tort is not gasping I don't find reason to worry....is there a chance you are just noticing more the drinking than you may have noticed before?? I have redfoot tort here and they are torts that will dunk their heads into the water two or three times each and every day and drink alot of water each time...they have always done this...perhaps your tort is just business as usual and it is you just paying more attention to it??

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
It sounds like your Tortoise is over heating. Those dial thermometers are SO off when it comes to reading temperature. If you used a probe or infrared thermometer to measure the temperature that dial thermometer could be up to 10 degrees off. So when you think your temps are 80 they could be 90 or higher.
I would first get yourself a thermostat to regulate your lamp temps if you don't have one, and then get a proper thermometer to measure the temps with.
Also, soak your girl every day if you don't.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I'm glad she is doing better. This is really strange behavior. Has the problem resolved itself? Is there something that you have changed that you think has helped the situation?

Karissa

Well I haven't really changed anything. She was still gasping the other day but she seems to be doing better now...I don't know why but I am glad ! :)