Tortoise eating insects

Ben02

Location (City and/or State)
Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Hi,

One of my Greek torts likes to eat insects, I thought it was funny at first but now I’m concerned whether or not this is affecting her. I’m always to slow to stop her.

Thanks

Ben

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
They're pretty high in protein and fat, so if insects made up a significant portion of their diet it might affect their health over time... I intentionally feed my redfoot silkworm pupae, and he loves them.

Jamie

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
They're pretty high in protein and fat, so if insects made up a significant portion of their diet it might affect their health over time... I intentionally feed my redfoot silkworm pupae, and he loves them.

Jamie
She does intentionally hunt them, she bobs her head and goes in fir the final strike. She eaten ants and a beetle before. Is there anything I can do to stop her?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
What kind of insects? I would think that a tortoise hunting down a bug or two a few times a day is pretty natural and normal. Unless you think they have been sprayed or something, I’m thinking let your tort enjoy the hunt.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
What kind of insects? I would think that a tortoise hunting down a bug or two a few times a day is pretty natural and normal. Unless you think they have been sprayed or something, I’m thinking let your tort enjoy the hunt.
Usually black ants but she has enjoyed the odd beetle. She seems to really enjoy doing it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Everytime I move my sulacata's terra cotta waterdish, he eats the bugs there (usually sow bugs) even knowing he does it I am still to slow to stop him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would discourage it or keep it to a minimum. Perhaps start growing some alfalfa, plantain and clover? Add some green beens to the diet? Maybe your tortoise is having a springtime protein craving.

In any case, soak early and often with a higher protein intake. A small amount of protein won't hurt them, but it will cause urate formation. Good hydration becomes essential.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I would discourage it or keep it to a minimum. Perhaps start growing some alfalfa, plantain and clover? Add some green beens to the diet? Maybe your tortoise is having a springtime protein craving.

In any case, soak early and often with a higher protein intake. A small amount of protein won't hurt them, but it will cause urate formation. Good hydration becomes essential.
She has a soak daily as she is still under a year old. Anything that moves she will try to eat it. I’ve got some campanula growing in her enclosure and I shall get some plantain seeds also.