Tortoise eating

chubu

Location (City and/or State)
oman
Hello, i noticed when my tortoise eat, his head goes back in the shell trying to cut the lettuce im not sure. But he never did that before it just happens to be recently !! I have a video but i cant upload so i uploaded in pic form hope u can tell the movements…

IMG_2574.pngIMG_2575.png

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
You should first post the video on social media like youtube and then send us a link. Does the tortoise do this with all foods? Does he do it every time now?

chubu

oman
You should first post the video on social media like youtube and then send us a link. Does the tortoise do this with all foods? Does he do it every time now?
Yes he just recently started doing it. When he has the food in his mouth, he doesn’t let go of it and tries to cut it even tho its cut and i have to step in to help

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome to the forum! Doesn’t sound out of the norm to me, sometimes our will tuck in and swipe at the leaf, helps them tear it apart😊

Whilst you’re here I don’t suppose you’d mind including some more information on how you’re keeping you tortoise? It’s so helpful with new members🥰

What are you temperatures like? Ie basking area?(directly under the bulb) overall day temp? Night temp?
What do kind of heating/lighting are you using? Packaging photos are great!
What kind of indoor uv if any?
What’s your humidity like and what do you use for substrate?

Any answers to the above questions would be great, along with any additional pics of your set up if you’re willing to share!😊

Oh also I noticed what look like a pair of tortoises being house together in your profile pic?
tortoise of any species should never be housed in pairs under any circumstances, they’re incredibly territorial, behaviours that look cute to us really aren’t, following one another and sleeping huddled up is all bullying the the tortoise world, you’ll eventually see more extreme signs of aggression. Anyone who tells you pairs are fine, have no idea what they’re talking about.

Small groups are ok when there’s lots of land and the correct male to female ratio.

If you only have two, they need separating asap, just thought I’d give you a heads up🙂