TORTOISE EGG

Location (City and/or State)
Morocco?Marrakech
Hello everyone I have two tortoises, an adult female and a male , I think, that he was an adult. In the spring the male mated with my female tortoise and currently in the summer two weeks ago I am surprised that the female has laid one egg on the soil and after one week she laid another egg.
when my male mates with the female ,i don't see his penis.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone I have two tortoises, an adult female and a male , I think, that he was an adult. In the spring the male mated with my female tortoise and currently in the summer two weeks ago I am surprised that the female has laid one egg on the soil and after one week she laid another egg.
when my male mates with the female ,i don't see his penis.
A few things:
1. They should never be housed in pairs. They need to be separated into their own enclosures, and you can introduce the male into the female's enclosure periodically for breeding if you want to.
2. The female should be digging holes, laying a few eggs at a time in the deep hole, and then covering it up. Many times new moms will drop eggs on the surface. Sometimes those are fertile and can hatch and sometime not. Here is how to handle your eggs:
3. Often tortoises mount to show dominance and there is no "mating" taking place. When they are actually mating, the male's organ is hidden from view by the back of his shell.

Morocco?Marrakech
A few things:
1. They should never be housed in pairs. They need to be separated into their own enclosures, and you can introduce the male into the female's enclosure periodically for breeding if you want to.
2. The female should be digging holes, laying a few eggs at a time in the deep hole, and then covering it up. Many times new moms will drop eggs on the surface. Sometimes those are fertile and can hatch and sometime not. Here is how to handle your eggs:
3. Often tortoises mount to show dominance and there is no "mating" taking place. When they are actually mating, the male's organ is hidden from view by the back of his shell.
thanks for this information, i have last question how i can know my male is an adult

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
thanks for this information, i have last question how i can know my male is an adult
Age and size. There is a typical adult male size for each type of tortoise. Look at the size of other tortoise of the same species from the same general locale of your tortoise.

In addition to size, some species also have an age component. You can grow a sulcata or a Radiated tortoise to full adult size very quickly given the right foods and conditions, but they still will generally not produce fertile eggs until they reach a certain age. There are occasional exceptions, but this holds true in general.

Most male Testudo are able to reproduce by around 6-7 years old. I've seen some Russian tortoises take longer, and slower growers can also take longer. If they were raised outsold full time, or kept too dry, they can also take longer.