Tortoise Enrichment!

Beetle_Rain

Location (City and/or State)
Winter Park FL
Hi everyone as it’s about to start getting cooler my little guy Sumo will be spending significantly less time outside and I was wondering if anyone has any leopard tortoise enrichment ideas! So far I have spit his usual meals in small dishes around his enclosure and he always ends up visiting each one multiple times a day. I’ve also tied fresh hibiscus leaves to the top of his enclosure so he has to really reach for them but that’s about all the ideas I’ve had so far. I also provide him with an extreme amount of variety to keep things interesting that way. IMG_0307.jpeg
IMG_0312.jpeg

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hi everyone as it’s about to start getting cooler my little guy Sumo will be spending significantly less time outside and I was wondering if anyone has any leopard tortoise enrichment ideas! So far I have spit his usual meals in small dishes around his enclosure and he always ends up visiting each one multiple times a day. I’ve also tied fresh hibiscus leaves to the top of his enclosure so he has to really reach for them but that’s about all the ideas I’ve had so far. I also provide him with an extreme amount of variety to keep things interesting that way. View attachment 378792
View attachment 378793
I am afraid I can't really be of any help to you, but I just wanted to say how impressed I am by your ways of giving Sumo an interesting life ! That's wonderful, and I'm sure it makes life more fun for him,
Best wishes from Angie.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Here are some ideas (of course you don't have to implement everything):
  • A running wheel for your tortoise
  • One of those flexible bridges meant for rodents
  • A hol-ee ball stuffed with food
  • A plastic pipe cut to half used as a tunnel
  • Plus some more in the photos

Attachments

• PHO_PRO_61193-1_#SALL_#AWK_#V1.jpg
    PHO_PRO_61193-1_#SALL_#AWK_#V1.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1
  • PHO_PRO_61192-1_#SALL_#AWK_#V1.jpg
    PHO_PRO_61192-1_#SALL_#AWK_#V1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1
  • PHO_PRO_USE_61197-3_#SALL_#AWK_#V1.jpg
    PHO_PRO_USE_61197-3_#SALL_#AWK_#V1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1
  • PHO_PRO_61199-2_#SALL_#AWK_#V1.jpg
    PHO_PRO_61199-2_#SALL_#AWK_#V1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1

Beetle_Rain

Winter Park FL
Here are some ideas (of course you don't have to implement everything):
  • A running wheel for your tortoise
  • One of those flexible bridges meant for rodents
  • A hol-ee ball stuffed with food
  • A plastic pipe cut to half used as a tunnel
  • Plus some more in the photos
Thank you I will be looking into these and doing as much as I can! I didn’t realize they would use something like a wheel!

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
@_The_Beast_ has one: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/tortoise-wheel-an-unexpected-success.211380/

It is important to find a wheel wide enough for the tortoises whole body to fit in and big enough so the tortoise can "lay flat" on the bottom. Securing the wheel to the wall or the bottom of the enclosure is of course important too Sink the wheel in the substrate so it is easy to reach and line it with something non-slip if it isn't already lined. With a small tortoise like yours I would buy one that has some space for growing.

Beetle_Rain

Winter Park FL
@_The_Beast_ has one: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/tortoise-wheel-an-unexpected-success.211380/

It is important to find a wheel wide enough for the tortoises whole body to fit in and big enough so the tortoise can "lay flat" on the bottom. Securing the wheel to the wall or the bottom of the enclosure is of course important too Sink the wheel in the substrate so it is easy to reach and line it with something non-slip if it isn't already lined. With a small tortoise like yours I would buy one that has some space for growing.
Looks like I have some searching to do for the perfect one!

_The_Beast_

Canada
Looks like I have some searching to do for the perfect one!
I currently use the large one NiteAngel makes. Weekly cleaning + spot cleaning is required, but it comes with a spare cork liner to keep you going. Happy to answer wheel questions if you have any. My tort's shell is currently 10 cm x 10 cm and the wheel is still working great!

Beetle_Rain

Winter Park FL
I currently use the large one NiteAngel makes. Weekly cleaning + spot cleaning is required, but it comes with a spare cork liner to keep you going. Happy to answer wheel questions if you have any. My tort's shell is currently 10 cm x 10 cm and the wheel is still working great!
This is so helpful thank you!!!!

Vancouver bc
Would love to see a picture of your tortoise on it if you have one!! So cool