Tortoise exercise help!!!

Turtle@Heart

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs
Hi, i have a red footed tortoise and i like to let him walk around my room while i'm at school so he can get exercise,but the problem is he poops and then i can't find it and my room smells horrible!!. Also he gets cold and i wan't him to be comfortable. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what i could do??

littlejessxx

why don't you build a little open wooden play zone type of area for the tortoise so you can leave the house feeling safe that you'll find the poop and your tortoise when yu come back home.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Outside enclosure or build him a enclosure thats big enough for him to move around . You never want a tortoise to run around unattended . He could eat the carpet and get a intestinal blockage .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need to build him a proper enclosure. Tortoises don't live in human houses in the wild. It's not good him getting cold either, plus they need a high humidity.

Turtle@Heart

Colorado Springs
Thank you all so much, i did not know about them eating carpet, But i'm looking for something that i can put in my room. He doesn't like to go back into his cage and i hate to put him back in there.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hello and welcome to TFO. Where do you live? Does it get very cold where you live? You might need to build a big outdoor enclosure or a much bigger enclosure indoors.

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What size cage are you using?

The enclosure should be large enough to meet their exercise needs while still containing them in a correct environment with the right temps and humidity.

Does your tortoise not have an outside enclosure? It ought to.

Turtle@Heart

Colorado Springs
I live in colorado, yes it gets very cold in the winter but gets very hot in the summer. No he doesn't have an outdoor enclosure, but i have been trying my best to get one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I love to give this link to folks who keep RF tortoises in the house:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/heres-dales-new-enclosure-picture-heavy.11023/

Tortoises can pick up all kinds of bad things off the floor in your room - electrical cords, dust bunnies, bits of plastic - any number of things that might kill him. Not a good idea to allow a tortoise free roaming in your room.

Besides that, a RF tortoise needs high humidity and a warm environment, simulating where they come from in South America.

Please try your darndest to set this tortoise up in his own habitat. You'll make him happy and healthy and he'll live longer if you do.