Tortoise has weird red blisters

Fish Breath

Location (City and/or State)
NY
IMG_7973.jpeg
So I left my tortoise with relatives, and when I came back a month later he has this weird red marks and a swollen area on either side of his neck. I was thinking humidity or something but does anyone know what this could be? Should I take him to a vet tmw?

zovick

10 Year Member!
View attachment 376269
So I left my tortoise with relatives, and when I came back a month later he has this weird red marks and a swollen area on either side of his neck. I was thinking humidity or something but does anyone know what this could be? Should I take him to a vet tmw?
It looks like some type of a wound. Is it possible the tortoise got his head through a fence or some type of screening and cut its neck trying to get its head out again? Do they have a cat? Maybe it's a cat scratch.

Did your relatives say anything had happened to the tortoise while you were gone?

Fish Breath

NY
Nothing of the sort…at all. They’re also two, on either side of his neck so I kind of doubt that’d happen.
It looks like some type of a wound. Is it possible the tortoise got his head through a fence or some type of screening and cut its neck trying to get its head out again? Do they have a cat? Maybe it's a cat scratch.

Did your relatives say anything had happened to the tortoise while you were gone?Nothing of the stor

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hi! It does looking like a potential scratch, is there any way you could get a better picture?
Oh and just a heads up, their beak looks like it’s in desperate need of a trim🙂

Whilst you’re here, I don’t suppose we could get a little info on how you’re keeping him?

Indoor or outdoor set up? What size?
What are your temps like? Ie basking temp?(directly under the bulb) overall day temp? Night temp?
How’s your humidity and what do you use for substrate?
What kind of lighting/heating do you use?
What kind of indoor uv if any?

Any answers to those questions would be great(don’t worry if you can’t answer all of them) also a photo of your set up would be good if you’re willing😊

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nothing of the sort…at all. They’re also two, on either side of his neck so I kind of doubt that’d happen.
It is because there are marks on both sides that I suspect Zovick is correct. I know of no tortoise disease that leaves marks like that. It appears to be a physical injury.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Injuries like that on both sides of the neck often happen when a tortoise sticks its head through a narrow opening and then tries to pull it back out.

The only other idea I have is that the wounds may have been self-inflicted by the tortoise's front nails while it was eating and trying to claw food out of its mouth with its front feet as they sometimes do. Maybe it started choking and had to try to get some food out of its mouth in a hurry.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Injuries like that on both sides of the neck often happen when a tortoise sticks its head through a narrow opening and then tries to pull it back out.

The only other idea I have is that the wounds may have been self-inflicted by the tortoise's front nails while it was eating and trying to claw food out of its mouth with its front feet as they sometimes do. Maybe it started choking and had to try to get some food out of its mouth in a hurry.
Especially with a beak like that, trying to get food into its mouth. I agree it's an injury of some kind, self-inflicted due to husbandry conditions or otherwise, due to attempted self defense.