tortoise hiding

mr. tort lover95

Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
Hello and thank you for reading. So 2 weeks ago I built a tortoise table for my russian. For the first few days he loved it and he spent a lot of time exploring tje table. The last week he has been acting funny. He will only come out of his hide when he eats and drinks. The second ue is don he go right back to his hide but he moves very fast like he is running home. Whenever I pick him up it looks like he is sleeping and he will wake up and just stare at me. Do you think he might be sick.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
No, I don't think what you have described is a sign of illness...sounds more like a tortoise in a new space...give him time to acclimate to the new digs...also, if he is bolting quickly, perhaps offer a few more hiding places / plant canopies within the enclosure so he can fee a bit more secure moving from one hide spot to another as he moves across the entire enclosure....

mr. tort lover95

Youngstown, Ohio
No, I don't think what you have described is a sign of illness...sounds more like a tortoise in a new space...give him time to acclimate to the new digs...also, if he is bolting quickly, perhaps offer a few more hiding places / plant canopies within the enclosure so he can fee a bit more secure moving from one hide spot to another as he moves across the entire enclosure....
Thank you for the help.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
How is he doing? I also think he is just adapting to his new environment. My tortoise I have had for about a week now is still getting used to his new home, warming up little by little each day. :)

mr. tort lover95

Youngstown, Ohio
He is doing pretty good. I put a few extra spots for him to hide in and he is now exploring. I took him out today because it is the first sunny day in a week and he had a blast in the yard. He now seems to know where the things are in his enclosure because he has a routine. He eats the soaks the sits under his heat lamp then just walks around.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Glad to hear he is doing well! :) My Russian was outside yesterday for the first time and he had a blast!