Weird mouth behaviour!

Joy Taylor

We've recently bought a 10yr old rescue horsfield and can't work out his behaviour. At about 3pm every day he runs towards me in his table, tries to climb up the sides and opens his mouth at me. He's totally frantic about it and will follow me whenever. Today I got him out whilst he was doing this and he climbed up my legs onto my belly and tried gnawing me!! Is he needing something or is he love sick?!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It might be male aggression. The time of day probably has nothing to do with it. He's just trying to chase you out of his territory.

By the way...Welcome to the forum!

Joy Taylor

It might be male aggression. The time of day probably has nothing to do with it. He's just trying to chase you out of his territory.

By the way...Welcome to the forum!

Thank you!! He's now making a squeaky noise at me. Weirdly he seems really happy and tame, though I guess they don't have much facial expression to go by!

kmartin

central Florida
Could it be the time he was fed before you got him? I know mine will let me know if I am late with a meal, even though they are outside with stuff to eat in their enclosure.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum! I can assure you that you'll get the help you need here.One thing I noticed about torts is that you have to be extremely patient when dealing with them. Good luck and please keep us updated.