Tortoise is in love

Greg Earnest

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437760144.314830.jpg
Planted some clovers and the tortoise is loving it. He now has 2 grasses, opuntia cactus, clovers, aloe, and everything else I feed him he loves the clovers though that seems to be his favorite besides kale

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Clover is high in protein. Many captive tortoises don't get enough protein in their diet, so they crave it.

Too much protein is bad for them, but they need some protein. I feed clover and alfalfa that I grow for this.

In the old days it was thought that protein caused pyramiding. We now know that is not true, but the aversion to any amount of protein from any source continues.

Greg Earnest

Clover is high in protein. Many captive tortoises don't get enough protein in their diet, so they crave it.

Too much protein is bad for them, but they need some protein. I feed clover and alfalfa that I grow for this.

In the old days it was thought that protein caused pyramiding. We now know that is not true, but the aversion to any amount of protein from any source continues.
Thank you for the info, I will take a portion out and just leave a little patch for him!

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utica. MI
My tortoise pen, the torts have eaten the grass so much that clover is the only thing that grows to keep up with the food intake (well in the area when they first come out of the indoor enclosure, the clovers have taken over) They do have plenty of grass still in the enclosure, but they do love those clovers.