Tortoise keeps going on his back

Audrey27

Location (City and/or State)
Northern Ireland
My baby Herman tortoise was on his back last night and when I turned him over he just went to bed and seemed fine but when I got up this morning and went to turn his lights on he was on his back again and now he hasn't moved much he just seems to be yawning every now and then should I be worried or is there anything I should do

GingerLove

5 Year Member
What is he climbing on that could flip him? You may want to consider removing it or putting more things around for him to flip himself back. I don't think flipping on his back would cause yawning... but a respiratory infection might. I would recommend keeping up the soaks, it helps with an infection. Also, what kind of light are you using?

Audrey27

Northern Ireland
What is he climbing on that could flip him? You may want to consider removing it or putting more things around for him to flip himself back. I don't think flipping on his back would cause yawning... but a respiratory infection might. I would recommend keeping up the soaks, it helps with an infection. Also, what kind of light are you using?
He has just stopped breathing on us he's really cold don't think there's anything we can do do u think this is because he was on his back to long before we found him

Audrey27

Northern Ireland
The
He has just stopped breathing on us he's really cold don't think there's anything we can do do u think this is because he was on his back to long before we found him
There is nothing in his tank that he flipped on and I'm using a uvb bulb but he was out last night with no light on and I was wondering why he had starting to wonder at night

Audrey27

Northern Ireland
Does anyone have a quick response to what I can do I was told if his head a feet are still out that he's not dead is this true

Audrey27

Northern Ireland
Can a tortoise die from being on its back I don't no how long he was like this but it could've been hours as it was like this when I woke this morning

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When they die all their muscles relax and there feet, legs and head all stick out like they are sleeping.

Babies can usually last a few hours on their back.

Can we see a pic of the enclosure to determine what the problem might be? What sort of UV bulb are you using and what are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and over night low?

Audrey27

Northern Ireland
When they die all their muscles relax and there feet, legs and head all stick out like they are sleeping.

Babies can usually last a few hours on their back.

Can we see a pic of the enclosure to determine what the problem might be? What sort of UV bulb are you using and what are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and over night low?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Unfortunately yes, they can die from being on their backs. Place the tortoise in shallow warm water to see if it perks up (make sure the water is below the nose/mouth so there is no risk of drowning).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ahh… You are in the UK and they sold you that "Pets At Home" substrate with the limestone bits in it. That should be replaced ASAP. Its a bad idea to encourage your tortoise to eat its substrate to satisfy calcium cravings. And you need to feed the tortoise out of a shallow bowl instead of on the substrate. I prefer to use terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate for this purpose. I use them for water too.

Did you find the tortoise near that half log? Many babies flip themselves on those, so I don't use them. You'll need to replace that too.

I see your basking bulb there. What is the temp under it? What is ambient temp in the enclosure? Does that bulb provide UVB? Any other bulbs?

Audrey27

Northern Ireland
Ahh… You are in the UK and they sold you that "Pets At Home" substrate with the limestone bits in it. That should be replaced ASAP. Its a bad idea to encourage your tortoise to eat its substrate to satisfy calcium cravings. And you need to feed the tortoise out of a shallow bowl instead of on the substrate. I prefer to use terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate for this purpose. I use them for water too.

Did you find the tortoise near that half log? Many babies flip themselves on those, so I don't use them. You'll need to replace that too.

I see your basking bulb there. What is the temp under it? What is ambient temp in the enclosure? Does that bulb provide UVB? Any other bulbs?
I got all this set up from a reptile supplier it was nowhere near the log when I found it I've tried everything and just gave up he's definitely gone il post a photo of the bulb

Audrey27

Northern Ireland
Unfortunately yes, they can die from being on their backs. Place the tortoise in shallow warm water to see if it perks up (make sure the water is below the nose/mouth so there is no risk of drowning).
Unfortunately my baby tortoise passed it was my daughters we tried bathing him he seemed to gasp for air for a while then he just stopped she is heart broken

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Unfortunately my baby tortoise passed it was my daughters we tried bathing him he seemed to gasp for air for a while then he just stopped she is heart broken

Sorry for your loss.

If you decide to try again, I will you will come here first and let us help you avoid the common mistakes.

Audrey27

Northern Ireland
Sorry for your loss.

If you decide to try again, I will you will come here first and let us help you avoid the common mistakes.
We are going with her tomorrow to let her pick a new one I can't see her being so unhappy I hope this was just a freak accident. Can u help me with something that has been playing on me from this happened a couple of nights before this our tortoise was wakening late on and having a wonder round the viv is this normal behaviour or could this be something to do with what happened when we got up this morning to put the lights on he was on his back so he could've been like this all night this worries me a bit with getting another one cause if it happened again my daughter would be beside herself she's heart broken at the minute because of tubby