Tortoise lotions?

Bobbutler3

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello
This is my first attempt at posting a question!
I know an expert tortoise guy in south Florida that recommends Scarlet oil and/or Mineral oil once a month for Aldabra’s.
My question is: has anyone thought to use “Skin so Soft”??
I’ve used it in the past to keep mosquitoes away from horses and thought it might have the same benefits for tortoise. I have 2 Sulcatas (5 years old) and 4 Aldabras (1 year) old.
BB
PS new to this forum

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum! Maybe someone else can help you with the skin so soft.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Bob! When I had horses I also used Avon's Skin So Soft for it's bug repelling properties, but I hated the strong perfumy scent. I'd hesitate to use it on tortoises because they absorb through their skin. What benefits to the tortoise are you expecting by oiling them?

Reactions: Ink

Bobbutler3

Florida
Welcome to the Forum, Bob! When I had horses I also used Avon's Skin So Soft for it's bug repelling properties, but I hated the strong perfumy scent. I'd hesitate to use it on tortoises because they absorb through their skin. What benefits to the tortoise are you expecting by oiling them?
Repel mosquitoes. I know that might be a debate but in Florida I’ve found my sulcatas covered by them. According to a couple different tortoise experts here in Florida mosquitoes can get blood from between the scutes. So, I would never lather them up for no reason, which is why I’m asking if anyone else uses it. I feel natural is best - but they’re no longer wild

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are a couple good suggestions on an old, old thread (sorry, I don't know how to copy/paste on the device I'm using at the moment). Go to our 'Search' button and ask to search for a thread titled 'Mosquito Spray.'

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't know for sure but wouldn't any perfumes interfere with the torts sense of smell which they rely on?

@ALDABRAMAN may be able to help

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do mosquitoes even bother tortoises? Their skin is very tuff. I'd be surprised they could penetrate any part of the tort.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do mosquitoes even bother tortoises? Their skin is very tuff. I'd be surprised they could penetrate any part of the tort.
According to Moozillion on that old thread I linked she had seen swarms of mosquitos in the cracks of new growth on the shell.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It looks like the OP has already seen mosquitoes on his Sully, and thats the origin of the question.

➡️ I know that might be a debate but in Florida I’ve found my sulcatas covered by them. According to a couple different tortoise experts here in Florida mosquitoes can get blood from between the scutes.

So it looks like we are wondering if Skin So Soft is “ok” to rub on a tortoises shell.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It looks like the OP has already seen mosquitoes on his Sully, and thats the origin of the question.

➡️ I know that might be a debate but in Florida I’ve found my sulcatas covered by them. According to a couple different tortoise experts here in Florida mosquitoes can get blood from between the scutes.

So it looks like we are wondering if Skin So Soft is “ok” to rub on a tortoises shell.
Seeing them on the tort and actually sucking blood are two very different concerns. Just being on or around a tort, not a problem. If they are actually biting/sucking blood, possibly not a real big oncern for the tort as much as it is for us?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Seeing them on the tort and actually sucking blood are two very different concerns. Just being on or around a tort, not a problem. If they are actually biting/sucking blood, possibly not a real big oncern for the tort as much as it is for us?

Aagh yes, good point. ? From reading a few articles, although mosquitoes probably prefer/seek out mammalian blood, they are rather opportunistic & won’t turn away a snack of snake or tortoise blood.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I definitely see mosquitoes swarming my tort in the summertime.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Aagh yes, good point. ? From reading a few articles, although mosquitoes probably prefer/seek out mammalian blood, they are rather opportunistic & won’t turn away a snack of snake or tortoise blood.
Seems likely they would be opportunistic on a tort or snake but I have never seen my tortoises even have a mosquito on it and so far everyone is seeing them around their tortoise but not saying they are seeing them bite.
Just trying to point out, if they are not really biting the tort I wouldn't use anything on them.