Tortoise Mythbusters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
The idea for this thread is to present 'tortoise myths' to be either confirmed or busted- understanding that some things may be true for some species, but a myth for others.

Examples:
"Tortoises cannot swim"
PARTIALLY BUSTED. Red- and Yellow-foot tortoises have been seen and photographed swimming in their natural habitat. Probably the similarly built Hinge-back can as well. (Vinke- "South American Tortoises", et al)

Are there documented examples of other species swimming, or proof they cannot?

"Tortoises do not make noises"
BUSTED, although admittedly, this is believed more by the general public than anyone who keeps tortoises, especially male 'teenaged torts'.

Any you want to share, or anything you want busted or confirmed??

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Tortoises are boring-BUSTED-They are active and exciting to watch. Our friends that come over are shocked with how interesting our tort is. A properly kept by today's standards captive tort is very different from how they used to be kept (not warm enough, bad diet, etc). Many may have a picture in their minds of an improperly kept inactive tort, or just a misconception as tortoises are always thought of as slow.

very cool thread!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
tortoisenerd said:
Tortoises are boring-BUSTED-They are active and exciting to watch. Our friends that come over are shocked with how interesting our tort is. A properly kept by today's standards captive tort is very different from how they used to be kept (not warm enough, bad diet, etc). Many may have a picture in their minds of an improperly kept inactive tort, or just a misconception as tortoises are always thought of as slow.

very cool thread!

You are definitely right about this one! Every one who sees my sulcatas running around their yard, can't believe that a tortoise can be that active, fast and friendly.

For the swimming myth, Galapagos can swim. That's how Lonesome George and a bunch of other tortoises from the Southern portion of the Galapagos range went a shore on the Northern part of the Islands. They were thrown overboard from a departing ship and a bunch of them swam ashore. I've been told that sulcatas can swim too, but I've never tested that. "Daisy, come over here..." I'll get back to you with pics, one way or the other.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
What about this one. If given a large yard to roam in and many editable options, will a tortoise choose a beneficial plant over one that can be potential harmful. I noticed that in my Cherry Head's enclosure, a small ivy plant is growing near the waterfall. Also climbing up the Rose of Sharon Tree is a Morning Glory. They are both established plants that I didn't notice, as it's getting a bit over grown in there. He has not touched these plants, but has eaten every Pansy, dandelion, and any fallen fruit or flower he could find. So, given enough options will a Tortoise choose the right plant, as I'm sure they do in the wild.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
terryo said:
What about this one. If given a large yard to roam in and many editable options, will a tortoise choose a beneficial plant over one that can be potential harmful. I noticed that in my Cherry Head's enclosure, a small ivy plant is growing near the waterfall. Also climbing up the Rose of Sharon Tree is a Morning Glory. They are both established plants that I didn't notice, as it's getting a bit over grown in there. He has not touched these plants, but has eaten every Pansy, dandelion, and any fallen fruit or flower he could find. So, given enough options will a Tortoise choose the right plant, as I'm sure they do in the wild.

Busted! I've watched mine eat bad stuff. I actually pulled a piece of oleander out of Scooter's mouth once. My neighbor had trimmed his bush on the other side of the wall and a leaf blew over. I saw him going for it in the nick of time.

They've eaten other bad stuff too like cigarette butts, a mylar Doritos bag, oxalis, etc...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tom said:
terryo said:

Busted! I've watched mine eat bad stuff. I actually pulled a piece of oleander out of Scooter's mouth once. My neighbor had trimmed his bush on the other side of the wall and a leaf blew over. I saw him going for it in the nick of time.

They've eaten other bad stuff too like cigarette butts, a mylar Doritos bag, oxalis, etc...

But with plants that they eat are they really bad for them? Or are they plants that we BELIEVE would be bad for them? So many plants for example get put on the "bad" list because another animal may be harmed by them or if you eat a lot of that plant or over a long time what is in the plant can build up inside you, ect.., Think how many plants are listed as bad, but we see being used in enclosures everyday. How many are actually tested on tortoises? (and which tortoise species would you use for test subjects since different ones seem to have different food consumption abilities)

Madkins007 said:
Examples:
"Tortoises cannot swim"
PARTIALLY BUSTED. Red- and Yellow-foot tortoises have been seen and photographed swimming in their natural habitat. Probably the similarly built Hinge-back can as well. (Vinke- "South American Tortoises", et al)

Hingebacks can swim.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
What about out in the wild? There must be plants that they come across that aren't good for them. Do they just skip over them and look for something better? I'm saying if they are in a large enclosure with lots of options, I wonder if they would eat a bad plant.
All my boxies swim.....I've seen that many times.
Pio sunk to the bottom when I first put him outside and didn't realize the pond was too deep. He floundered around at the bottom for a bit before I got him out. I didn't give him the change to try again, so I don't know if he can swim or not.

movealongmosey

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
Though I have seen pictures of yellowfoots and redfoots swimming, usually the pictures are of large wild tortoises. And I wonder if they can actually swim, or if their legs big enough to touch the river bottom, and make us think they're swimming...
Just a thought, feel free to prove me otherwise :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
movealongmosey said:
Though I have seen pictures of yellowfoots and redfoots swimming, usually the pictures are of large wild tortoises. And I wonder if they can actually swim, or if their legs big enough to touch the river bottom, and make us think they're swimming...
Just a thought, feel free to prove me otherwise :p

I think the word "swim" is a misnomer when used in this instance. I think that some tortoises naturally float. And as they're floating, they move their legs as if walking, causing them to "motate." Leopards can swim too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
terryo said:
What about out in the wild? There must be plants that they come across that aren't good for them. Do they just skip over them and look for something better? I'm saying if they are in a large enclosure with lots of options, I wonder if they would eat a bad plant.
All my boxies swim.....I've seen that many times.
Pio sunk to the bottom when I first put him outside and didn't realize the pond was too deep. He floundered around at the bottom for a bit before I got him out. I didn't give him the change to try again, so I don't know if he can swim or not.

They must skip them in the wild, but mine ate the oleander in my very large grassy backyard. He'd been grazing on weeds and grass and could have continued, but upon discovering and sniffing the oleander, decided to eat it.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
I have seen aldabran totoises swim. Similar to the galaps. Sulcatas cannot swim but they can walk on the bottom with their breath held for up to 10 minutes. (I never tested the time length though).

Becki

5 Year Member
Albuquerque
Here's a myth....tortoises are slow. I've seen some really motoring!:)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they are slow by choice, they can turn up the heat when needed.

tortoiseluvr

5 Year Member
every tortoise is slow- BUSTED I have two pancakes and once they get going they are very fast. They escape from predators in the wild by running away into the nearest hiding spot instead of tucking themselves in their shell.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I think one of the myths that most people think is true is that a tortoises shell protects them from all harm. They don't realize that things can get to them even though they are inside of it. :( I don't think that people think about dogs being able to bite through one either.

By the way Madkins I love this thread. :D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Scoreboard:

"Can't swim (or 'motivate on water'): Partially busted

"Slow, mute, boring": Busted

"Eats 'bad for them food': Probably needs more research

How about...
'Dies on their backs quickly'
'Likes/needs high heat, dry climates'
'Can go a long time without food'
'Only needs to eat (fill in the blank)'
'Lives for 200 years (as a regular thing)'
'Grows to space provided'
...?

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Here is one that few will agree with me on.....Tortoises are not cuddly. I am convinced that my torts like to be held has snuggle up against my neck.

chadk

10 Year Member!
"gets all their water from lettuce"
"desert torts just need a hot dry aquarium to thrive"
"you should NEVER mix species"
"you SHOULD mix species" (think the answer lies in the middle - based on several factors)
"you should never feed spinach" (or kale, or watercress, etc etc)
"______ is bad for torts because it is on some 'toxic list'"
"Belly heat is bad for torts"
"Belly heat is good for torts"
"you should never feed fruit"
"fruit should make up 10% of a torts diet"
"Russian Torts and Sulcata Torts have much different needs"
"torts and turtles are all carriers of salmonella"

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Madkins007 said:
The idea for this thread is to present 'tortoise myths' to be either confirmed or busted- understanding that some things may be true for some species, but a myth for others.

Examples:
"Tortoises cannot swim"

"Tortoises do not make noises"
BUSTED, although admittedly, this is believed more by the general public than anyone who keeps tortoises, especially male 'teenaged torts'.

Any you want to share, or anything you want busted or confirmed??

Hermann's tortoises can swim (clumsily), at least for short periods (maybe an hour)...a girlfriend once put mine in a bath-tub full of water because "she looked hot and turtles love water, right?"...

Just one of the reasons it was a short relationship... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.