Tortoise not eating

emmahaddock25

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I have a 2 year old horsefield tortoise. Recently I feel that she has not been eating as much as she used to, does anyone know why this could be?

Thank you

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Make sure all temps, etc are correct. Does he seem to act normal? My leopard and Russian both seem to go through streaks where they don't eat as much as they normally do. If all else seems fine, I wouldn't worry too much. You can also try feeding some different food then normal or give one of his favorite treats mixed into his regular food.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The most common cause of a tortoise not eating is because it isn't warm enough.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Try bumping the temps a few degrees They don't digest food if not warm enough. If temps are good and acting normal they don't stress too much but keep a close eye for any other changes.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Hi everyone, I have a 2 year old horsefield tortoise. Recently I feel that she has not been eating as much as she used to, does anyone know why this could be?

Thank you
The first question I'd ask myself is what had changed recently (temperature, diet, etc.)... As Yvonne mentioned it's probably temperature isn't warm enough :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another thing to consider - if you have your tortoise set up outside, they have a very short growing season in nature. The russian tortoises are eating machines during their awake months because they have to get ready for the cold weather which sometimes lasts 6 to 8 months in their native land. Then prior to hibernation, they stop eating in order to clean out their system. If your weather has cooled, maybe he's getting ready for that.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Wow, that explains my recent issue, Yvonne! I have had my russian out on cooler days for shorter amounts of time, as wellington suggested, but he still has been eating less... Everything else is fine, of course :D