Tortoise not the same after having a baytril injection

jobothehobo

Location (City and/or State)
England.
My sulcata (victor) has a respiratory infection and had a baytril shot maybe....3-4 hours ago.
He has now napped now maybe 2 times in the period of 2 hours and NEVER usually does that, he hasn't eaten anything either and usually has a huge apetite.

Is this normal after an injection? It did look incredibly painful:(

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Joe had injections when he had a URI and was very quiet after the first one. He had to be kept very warm. After the third injection, he was more himself... to the point of trying to walk on 3 legs after the injection as if he was trying to stop us grabbing the injured leg and sticking a needle in him again!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Baytril is what we used to use in the past. It burns them and hurts like hell. Sometimes they slough skin at the injection site. Baytril should not be used on tortoises. There are other similar drugs that do the same thing with fewer and/or reduced side effects. Any decent tortoise vet should know this.

Further, injections only treat the symptoms of the problem. They do nothing to SOLVE the problem. Respiratory infections usually happen because this tropical species is allowed to get too cold at night, or not allowed to warm up enough during the day. Fixing the husbandry issue and warming temps up a bit will usually cure the problem.

Wish you had found us first.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Baytril burns/stings
He is most lkely shell shocked(bad pun,sorry). He should return to nornal soon.

jobothehobo

England.
I really do hope he does turn back to normal.
I dont want him suffering, do you think he in pain maybe?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I really do hope he does turn back to normal.
I dont want him suffering, do you think he in pain maybe?

Nothing you can do about it now.

I'd call the vet and tell him he needs to update his reptile medicine knowledge. Ask him why he didn't use Fortaz. There's one other one too, but I can't remember the name right now. That's why I have a vet. HE knows which drugs to use and when...

You are paying the vet money to know the right things. Its a sad day when people on some internet forum know more than someone who is being paid to have professional knowledge they don't have. We see this too frequently. It needs to stop. Vets should not be taking money for things they know nothing about. If this vet doesn't know tortoise medicine and husbandry, he/she should have referred you to someone who does.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Probaly not anymore

jobothehobo

England.
Nothing you can do about it now.

I'd call the vet and tell him he needs to update his reptile medicine knowledge. Ask him why he didn't use Fortaz.

You are paying the vet money to know the right things. Its a sad day when people on some internet forum know more than someone who is being paid to have professional knowledge they don't have. We see this too frequently. It needs to stop. Vets should not be taking money for things they know nothing about. If this vet doesn't know tortoise medicine and husbandry, he/she should have referred you to someone who does.

I've been told to put a drop of baytril in each nostril everyday for 10 days PLUS he's going back for another injection on saturday, should i just carry on with it or not..?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Vitamin shots kill

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Baytri burns but it does work. In the nose though I dont know