Tortoise not using Hide

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Is it normal for my Sulcata hatchling to NEVER go into his hide?

Mine didn’t really care for his. He’d rather burrow down in warm coco coir.
Make sure it’s not too hot inside. Is it too close to a heating element?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can also just keep putting him in it to see if that will help.
Post a pic of it too maybe we can see a reason why

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.

What does your hide look like, have as a substrate, is it it dark and warm.....

Upload a pix. Hopefully it’s not just a log....

You might just need to move a few things around...and put the hide where your tort wants it.

tacotaco

Louisiana
Instead of all individual replies I’ll answer all of your questions at once. Haha. I have two hides in there one on the warm side and one on the cool side. I use two plastic Tupperware containers that I cut an opening for him to enter and leave.

Inside of the of the hide I’ve experimented with using moss, fur bark, even left it bare on the bottom to see which substrate he likes in there, and he just doesn’t care for going inside. He likes to push it out of the way and lay on the “wall” of the cement mixing tray.

I’ll provide pics once I get home.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is normal for sulcatas. I think this helps them avoid the sulcata eating monsters that dug the holes in the wild. Put the tortoise in the warm humid hide every night well after lights out. After about 2 or 3 weeks, most of them realize that the "burrow" contains no monsters, and that it is now their burrow.

tacotaco

Louisiana
This is normal for sulcatas. I think this helps them avoid the sulcata eating monsters that dug the holes in the wild. Put the tortoise in the warm humid hide every night well after lights out. After about 2 or 3 weeks, most of them realize that the "burrow" contains no monsters, and that it is now their burrow.

Ok, I’ll definitely give that a try! Thanks.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Does a clear”hide” qualify as a “hide”? Some of my RFs use their dark hide while some are content with their portable hides, their shells.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What is in the two hoods?

You need something opaque for a hide. Or at least and opaque roof.

Is that the water or food dish? Looks like you need another one.

I'd put a flat rock of some sort under the basking lamp.

There is no way to maintain the correct heat and humidity in an open tub like that unless the entire room is always 80 degrees and 80%+ humidity.

tacotaco

Louisiana
What is in the two hoods?

You need something opaque for a hide. Or at least and opaque roof.

Is that the water or food dish? Looks like you need another one.

I'd put a flat rock of some sort under the basking lamp.

There is no way to maintain the correct heat and humidity in an open tub like that unless the entire room is always 80 degrees and 80%+ humidity.

Thanks for the feedback.

CHE on one side, UVB bulb on the other. I used to have them cover completely with spagnium moss and he still wouldn’t use them. But I’ll cover them again.

I’ll add the flat rock today and get him another water dish. The room does pretty much very close to 80 degrees. It’s facing a window with plenty sun coming in and I’ve closed all a/c vents going to that room. I run a humidifier in there as well. I also cover the tub with a small greenhouse.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the feedback.

CHE on one side, UVB bulb on the other. I used to have them cover completely with spagnium moss and he still wouldn’t use them. But I’ll cover them again.

I’ll add the flat rock today and get him another water dish. The room does pretty much very close to 80 degrees. It’s facing a window with plenty sun coming in and I’ve closed all a/c vents going to that room. I run a humidifier in there as well. I also cover the tub with a small greenhouse.
That all sounds good. Be careful the sun coming in the window doesn't overheat the tortoise, and watch out for this as the season progress. The sun comes in at a lower angle and heats up my reptile room more in the winter than it does in the hot summers.

I wouldn't use sphagnum moss. All of mine try to eat it. Try using an opaque container for your hide. It will make the tortoise feel more secure. I use dark colored ones.

tacotaco

Louisiana
That all sounds good. Be careful the sun coming in the window doesn't overheat the tortoise, and watch out for this as the season progress. The sun comes in at a lower angle and heats up my reptile room more in the winter than it does in the hot summers.

I wouldn't use sphagnum moss. All of mine try to eat it. Try using an opaque container for your hide. It will make the tortoise feel more secure. I use dark colored ones.

Ok, will do.

Yeah, Taco tried to eat it too which is why I remove it lol. Funny thing and I’m not joking. I tried what you suggested and moved him inside of the hide long after the lights were off, and I came in this morning and he was still in his hide. I also took him out for his morning soak and fed him. As soon as he finished eating he crawled right back into the hide!

Hopefully it want a fluke! Lol. But I will still get him dark colored hide.