Tortoise on Hunger Strike...(help)

Lark_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ct
Hi everyone! I have a Russian Tortoise, Tabitha. I've had her since last March, and she's always been a good eater. Within the last couples weeks, she would go on one or possibly two-day hunger strikes, but always finally ate.
Now she spends the whole day burrowing in assorted places. I, mean she doesn't seem more sluggish or slower than usual. But she also hasn't eaten since Saturday or Sunday.
Another thing I've noted is that within the weeks before she stopped eating she had been pulling out her favorite foods when I feed her (radicchio and endive). But now she doesn't eat anything
Heres a list of foods I feed her:
1. spring mix
2. Mustard greens
3. Turnip greens
3. Radicchio
4. Endive
5. Baby/big bok choi
6. She used to like collard greens and store-bought dandelions but now she won't eat collard greens and only eats wild dandelions.

Does anyone know what this might be? Is she trying to hibernate? How long can she go not eating? Is she sick?
--Thanks, Lark_Tortoise

Bee62

Germany
Hello, your tortoise probably wants to hibernate. Can you tell us the temps in the enclosure of your tort ?
Do you want yout tort to hibernate ?

Lark_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Ct
I don't want to hibernate her. I'm away from the house at the moment and will check the exact temp when I get home.
It's roughly 90 something Fahrenheit under the UV light and 80 something Fahrenheit under the c.h.i.
How can I prevent her from trying to hibernate?
Should I get another c.h.i or lamp to raise the temp?
Thanks. =)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
In CT the days shorten and the natural lighting changes much sooner in the fall than where these tortoises come from. Photoperiod and type of light is extremely important in triggering burmation. What type of lighting do you use and how long are the lights on? Is there a window close by the enclosure or one that adds light to them room?

Lark_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Ct
There are 2 windows, though neither are directly above. I want to get a timer for my lights, but I don't know where. They are usually on any time from 5:40-6:00 to 8:30pm or so when I have school.
The chi is on all day and night.

I will check the brand when I get home.
How can I adjust my light schedule to help her?
Thanks.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
There are 2 windows, though neither are directly above. I want to get a timer for my lights, but I don't know where. They are usually on any time from 5:40-6:00 to 8:30pm or so when I have school.
The chi is on all day and night.

I will check the brand when I get home.
How can I adjust my light schedule to help her?
Thanks.
If you are trying to keep a tortoise from brumating, you will need a good full spectrum light and a 14-15 hour photoperiod. So a timer is essential. I use two T5 fluorescent fixtures. One is a good quality grow light that is on 15 hours. the second is a UVB bulb that is on 5-6 hours midday.

Lark_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Ct
Update:
I took her outside and then gave her a warm soak, and when I put her under the basking light she ate!!!!

Lark_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Ct
We still need to upgrade--it's only 3ftx6ft with 16inx3ft loft.
What can I do at the moment to make it warmer untill I know what lamp to get?
Thanks!