Tortoise Pen Build Thread

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
Hello tortoiseforum,

It has been a while since I have made a post and I decided to share with you all my tortoise pen build. To begin, I live in Long Island, New York and keep my tortoises outdoors for the majority of time I can which is only a few months. I have been trying to make a tortoise pen that is predator proof and appealing to my visitors. So after long thought, I decided to hire a masonry contractor who has done work in my yard previously.

The masonry contractor is going to build a stacked stone wall about 12 inches in height to prevent the tortoises from escaping. I have not taken the dimensions of the perimeter of the pen because it is still undecided how large the pen will be.

The inside of the pen will be up to me to design. I plan on making a predator proof cover and a few hiding spots. Please give me your suggestions and help for designing and creating those two things. I'd like to plant some nice vegetation that the tortoises can forage on. I will also need help with this because I am in a shady/partly sunny area and I am unfamiliar with plants that are edible and can grow in those conditions. The contractor claims he is coming monday so I will begin to post pictures of the build monday evening.

I look forward to sharing the build with you guys and would love to hear all input!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
These are such a tease when they have a heading like this and no pics:(:p:D. Can't wait to see pics.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks for the pic, it will do until the new ones are posted :D Cool location, I like it.

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
So currently I am out of the house but I got a call from Jimmy, the contractor, and he said he had begun building the pen. Unfortunately for me I can't post the whole entire build because I am not home. I look forward to sharing the pics with you guys. Expect some pictures within the next two hours.

Ben

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Are you planning a lid?Not sure what kind of tortoise you've got there, but a stacked stone wall seems like a great escape ladder & the height is no object. You may need capstones all along the top, not just the corners.

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
The goal of the project was to match the present rock work along the yard. Here are some photos of the rock in the pond and throughout the backyard. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430163660.902644.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430163680.344874.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430163697.250457.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430163719.130465.jpg

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
Are you planning a lid?Not sure what kind of tortoise you've got there, but a stacked stone wall seems like a great escape ladder & the height is no object. You may need capstones all along the top, not just the corners.

I plan on keeping my trio of Dalmatian Hermanns in the pen. I will have a predator proof cover made but I am still thinking of ideas for it.

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
Beautiful! How nice that looks in your yard. I live in upstate NY and you are giving me ideas....
What kind of tortoise do you have?

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
Beautiful! How nice that looks in your yard. I live in upstate NY and you are giving me ideas....
What kind of tortoise do you have?

Than you! I keep a variety of tortoises but this pen is being made for my Dalmatian Hermanns.

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
Here are some more photos. The workers finalized their part of the project and now it's my turn. I need to build hides and make the pen suitable for outdoor night and day living. If you have any suggestions feel free to chime in.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430168545.418986.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430168560.958573.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430170235.062050.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430170248.299325.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430170268.828487.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430170278.132695.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1430170288.572238.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Very nice landscaping!
Did you get a deal on the slate?
Something like that would cost a bundle here. But, it looks really great!
(My tortoises have a cheapskate for a dad.)

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
GAH! That is just beautiful! I love your yard/landscaping and how it all looks so natural. I would have to sell a few children to do something like that for our Sulcata due to how large it would need to be...

Hmmmmm.... tempting.