Tortoise possible mbd

Benjtort

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hi I have noticed lately how my tortoises shell is mildly soft not crazy but you can feel it

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A sulcata, right? Baby tortoises shells normally have a bit of 'give' to them.

Benjtort

Texas
Yes he is but he’s not a baby he is a year and is nearly 6 inches

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you feed calcium-rich foods, and do you supplement with calcium two or three times a week? And, in order to help that calcium do its job inside the tortoise's body, he MUST HAVE a GOOD UVB light. Calcium just gets pooped and peed out without vitamin d3 either from the sun or a GOOD UVB light.

Benjtort

Texas
There also is a red line down the middle of his plastron

zovick

10 Year Member!
There also is a red line down the middle of his plastron

That red area in the center of the plastron is new growth. Those new growth areas are highly vascularized and you are seeing the red appearance from all the blood there which are bringing in the necessary nutrients to help the bone grow.

Benjtort

Texas
That red area in the center of the plastron is new growth. Those new growth areas are highly vascularized and you are seeing the red appearance from all the blood there which are bringing in the necessary nutrients to help the bone grow.
Does that also make the shell soft

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Just want to critique your enclosure a bit-
-Get rid of the red light. Tortoises can still see it at night, and it makes them want to eat the substrate.
-Replace the water bowl. Those ramp ones are huge flipping hazards. A good alternative is a large terra cotta saucer that you put under plant pots
-cover the top. Your tortoise needs high humidity to not pyramid further. Try covering the top with a shower curtain, but make sure it doesn’t touch the lights.

Other than that, I really like your enclosure!
Please take a look at these links-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Benjtort

Texas
Just want to critique your enclosure a bit-
-Get rid of the red light. Tortoises can still see it at night, and it makes them want to eat the substrate.
-Replace the water bowl. Those ramp ones are huge flipping hazards. A good alternative is a large terra cotta saucer that you put under plant pots
-cover the top. Your tortoise needs high humidity to not pyramid further. Try covering the top with a shower curtain, but make sure it doesn’t touch the lights.

Other than that, I really like your enclosure!
Please take a look at these links-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/How-To-Raise-A-Healthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
They still see it even if it’s off at night, and I have never had problems with him eating the substrate

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
Along with everything TechnoCheese recommended, I'd say to remove all the pellets you have. They should be fed sparingly, only as a supplement. Tortoises are grazers, but they need greens, weeds, and grass to graze not pellets.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
They still see it even if it’s off at night, and I have never had problems with him eating the substrate

What do you mean they still see it even when it’s off?
I mean that they can still tell that it’s there, and it’s not invisible like it’s labeled as. Tortoises need total darkness at night, and red lights disrupt their sleep cycle.