Tortoise Problems Need Help!

Kisobel

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hey there people,

After originally mending Herman’s health unfortunately he has slipped into more health problems and I’m not sure what to do.

He has always had a cough/slight wheeze but recently I can actually hear it when close to him. This goes alongside with heavy breathing as I can feel it. He is about 1 and a half years old.

I’ve also noticed he doesn’t walk much anymore, he used to do laps but he doesn’t at the moment. He likes to sit under his heat lamp a lot now and will just pass out / nap under it.

When I go close or move the glass to open it on the vivarium, he does respond as he will then look up and be aware unlike when he was very not well when I first got him, so he isn’t lethargic to the point of where his eyes were constantly closed too but he has started doing the same symptoms of head fully jusy lay down and limbs kinda laid down like he was sunbathing.

He is still eating what is good, when I take him out he likes to move around like he is aware and stuff just doesn’t seem to be himself.

He started to sleep much earlier now, like he would stay awake the entire day from waking up and sleep about 2 hours before his lights come off. Bjt now it’s about 2 hours after he wakes up he will sleep / nap most of the day, eat food then go back to bed.

I’ll re fit the higher heat lamp bulb so it’s warmer in his enclosure currently it’s a 50 as 75 was overheating but it’s cold as of recently and I’ll try get humidity up.

Please let me know if you need information and what information you can give me, thank you.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
What bark is that you are using? It looks like pine bark which shouldn't be used.

What are your current temperatures and humidity?

Kisobel

United Kingdom
What bark is that you are using? It looks like pine bark which shouldn't be used.

What are your current temperatures and humidity?
its not pine bark, its fine orchid bark or whatever its called. Its been approved by people such as @Tom and @Alex and the Redfoot

Humidity is currently 49%
And the temp is reading 30.2 what is low. I attempted to fit the higher watt bulb but its broke so just ordered a new one. I've closed all doors in my room to try and heat up the room a bit.
As of saying this message this is how he is under the heat lamp.

Kisobel

United Kingdom
its not pine bark, its fine orchid bark or whatever its called. Its been approved by people such as @Tom and @Alex and the Redfoot

Humidity is currently 49%
And the temp is reading 30.2 what is low. I attempted to fit the higher watt bulb but its broke so just ordered a new one. I've closed all doors in my room to try and heat up the room a bit.
As of saying this message this is how he is under the heat lamp.
idk why it didn't send lol

Attachments

• IMG_6090.jpg
    IMG_6090.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
The 30c is under the heat lamp right? What are the other temps? Napping under the lamp constantly might mean it is also too cold elsewhere. When tortoises have respitory symptoms it is recommended to pump up the temps to 29c all over the enclousure, including the night. This can be achieved with a CHE and helps the tortoise fight the infection.

Now that he is sick, I would soak him every day do make sure he stays hydrated. Have you tried pouring water in the corners of the substrate and stirring it up?

How long has he had symptoms? Is he pooping and passing urates normally?

Kisobel

United Kingdom
The 30c is under the heat lamp right? What are the other temps? Napping under the lamp constantly might mean it is also too cold elsewhere. When tortoises have respitory symptoms it is recommended to pump up the temps to 29c all over the enclousure, including the night. This can be achieved with a CHE and helps the tortoise fight the infection.

Now that he is sick, I would soak him every day do make sure he stays hydrated. Have you tried pouring water in the corners of the substrate and stirring it up?

How long has he had symptoms? Is he pooping and passing urates normally?
I have a CHE, just turned up the temp from 25 degrees C to 27.

also my heat gun says 37 under the heat lamp directly. but it doesn't actually seem too warm.

I give 2 baths a week, ill try make it more.

I do occasionally pour water in the corners yeah, just done it today too.

Well, its unclear how long he has had symptoms as I'm a new tortoise owner, I've owned him since Jan last year. For a good 3 months he was very badly ill as I was told all incorrect information, however nurtured him back to health. However he has always had a cough / wheeze type thing? not too sure. He was much more active about a month or two ago, but only this week has he became very inactive.

He poops all good and he urates okay, I found out the white stuff is completely normal and its a fine consistency.

He right now has went to bed but previously he would just be doing laps all the time out just out and about.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I would pump up the CHE to 29c and try to do baths every day if you have the time. Are his eyes swollen or watery? Is there any discharge from the nose?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I’m inclined to say judging by the napping under the lamp, that the temps are what’s causing the current issues, which hopefully you’ll get sorted soon, basking temp doesn’t sound too bad but the overall enclosure probably needs warming up, so I’d pop your CHE up a few degrees as suggested above and go from there🙂
It is odd that your humidity sounds to be struggling with a closed chamber, if there’s vents, have you tried sealing them?

Kisobel

United Kingdom
I would pump up the CHE to 29c and try to do baths every day if you have the time. Are his eyes swollen or watery? Is there any discharge from the nose?
his eyes are watery sometimes not all the time,

no nose discharge for once as he had that problem when I first got him,

and no his eyes do not look puffy.

Kisobel

United Kingdom
I’m inclined to say judging by the napping under the lamp, that the temps are what’s causing the current issues, which hopefully you’ll get sorted soon, basking temp doesn’t sound too bad but the overall enclosure probably needs warming up, so I’d pop your CHE up a few degrees as suggested above and go from there🙂
It is odd that your humidity sounds to be struggling with a closed chamber, if there’s vents, have you tried sealing them?
the problem is, when the heatlamp is on it can get too hot because my room.

hence I didn't fully seal it as I don't want to cook him to death.

it was reading like 42 in the viv so it scared me one time.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Yes, looks like he is trying to warm up. You can put a piece of slate or terracotta saucer upside down under the lamp. Also, measure his shell/limbs temperature when he sleeps under the lamp, if you have a temp gun.