Tortoise Problems Need Help!

Kisobel

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
How is your tortoise now?
Sorry completely forgot to go on this forum, the temps are boosted to 29 in the cool side, his wheeze seems to have gone but he is really lethargic still so I’m considering if the UK weather has triggered a brumation? I know nothing about it but I’ll explain his old routine to now,

Every morning he wakes up and goes under basking spot, he will wait to see me moving then he knows to go to food bowl and gets his food. After a munch he then will go under his heat lamp, then after a bit just go for laps around his vivarium then occasionally stopping but always awake. He sometimes goes for a little nap but not always and then around 5-6 he goes to sleep.

Recently he wakes up, heats up, goes to food bowl, eat food then he hides under his log all day. I recently took some substrate out under it so he can have a bit more room and he seems to just sleep or nap under it now. Then in a few hours he will just sleep till tomorrow or get up for food then go back to bed.

Now Herman was ill last time it would have been “brumation” season, and I’m choosing that he will never brumate as I don’t know how to do it correctly or safely, when he was also ill when he used to lay down and nap like in the photos he wouldn’t respond to ppl moving around him, since taking the pictures his eyes are open and he looking around but he will prolly nap again, so it’s not a super concern but I got a sort of ptsd from when he was last very very not well.

So I’m not considering wether he is trying to brumate or not, sorry if I’m butchering the spelling I don’t know much about it, I’m still fairly new.

Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_6125.jpeg
    IMG_6125.jpeg
    362.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 12893A71-558B-4A5A-9EBB-4CCC331E825C.jpeg
    12893A71-558B-4A5A-9EBB-4CCC331E825C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6128.jpeg
    IMG_6128.jpeg
    409.5 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
One week with upped temperatures, not wheezing, eating. That sounds good so far. If he was trying to brumate he would go off food.

Keep him that warm for a week or two more - when they get sick, recovery is rather slow. To prevent him from brumating you can set basking lamp and ambient lights on for 13-14 hours a day.

Kisobel

United Kingdom
Hello!
One week with upped temperatures, not wheezing, eating. That sounds good so far. If he was trying to brumate he would go off food.

Keep him that warm for a week or two more - when they get sick, recovery is rather slow. To prevent him from brumating you can set basking lamp and ambient lights on for 13-14 hours a day.
Is the constant sleeping normal however? Well, sleeping wayyy earlier and for the entire day.

Also if the pee is kinda yellow is that dehydration? I’ve been trying to give more baths

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
For a sick tortoise - yes, it's normal. Also, at higher temperatures they can stay in hides longer. As he eats and poops - I wouldn't worry too much yet.

Yellow pee is often because of foods - like dandelions or marigold flowers. They don't produce concentrated urine like we do, so color change is not related to hydration.

Kisobel

United Kingdom
For a sick tortoise - yes, it's normal. Also, at higher temperatures they can stay in hides longer. As he eats and poops - I wouldn't worry too much yet.

Yellow pee is often because of foods - like dandelions or marigold flowers. They don't produce concentrated urine like we do, so color change is not related to hydration.
Thank you very much