Tortoise Psychology

Sally Franklin Christie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Montana USA
Hello Again,

My tortoise who remains nameless is still healthy, physically.

She seems a bit aggressive. For example if we let her out and block her path with our hand she will take a bump at it, then half a tort step back before ramming it with her head.

She does the same to the enclosure glass. If I block her view she settles back but then I can't see her.

I had to remove things because she was climbing and flipping. I tried things to make her walk around to see what was on the other side but she would find a way to climb or trample it down.

She continues to grow and looks really good. I can't find an appropriate hide for her because she climbs it.

This is frustrating. I'd like to keep her entertained and safe, not closed off from the world and bored half crazy.

Also, I'd like to humidify her enclosure but the set ups I have seen online have really bad reviews. We are in Montana.

Thanks everyone for what you are about to advise.

Sally and O Nameless Battering Ram/hermanns dalmation 2 years old.

abclements

5 Year Member
What size is your enclosure and how long is your tort? It could just be that she needs more space and is getting very restess

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Sally welcome to the TFO from AZ . Now acouple of things if a tort can see out like through glass they will want out to the other side . Now the other thing it's spring if the female isn't doing her job witch is mating or the male isn't doing his job the other one rams it's mate to do the job witch is mating . So I hope this helps you alittle

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
if we let her out and block her path with our hand she will take a bump at it, then half a tort step back before ramming it with her head.

Totally normal.

If I block her view she settles back but then I can't see her.

Ummm, the enclosure is for the tort not the human, right.

walk around to see what was on the other side but she would find a way to climb or trample it down.

LOL...torts basically know one way.....through...rarely do they go around or back up...forward and plow through is their usual style :D

I'd like to keep her entertained and safe, not closed off from the world and bored half crazy.

We need to remember that torts do not "feel" like humans do, if their needs are met they are basically "happy campers"..

ub3rsh00

From what Turtle has shown me, they're gonna find something to climb. It's better to just go with it. Make your substrate into ramps or other shape that encourages and helps your tort climb. It'll give them the extra opportunities to get exercise and stimulate thinking. Build a hill over your hide, leaving only the door exposed works well. I've got turtles basking spot on a giant mound with a hide underneath to make a cave, and he loves climbing that. He also has a bridge(with a sphagnum moss nest under it.) and half log (his main home, which is covered with substrate). each hide is also filled with moss. Basically each hide let's him climb.
As far as a name. How about Ram?

Sally Franklin Christie

5 Year Member
Montana USA
Do you have a photo of your enclosure?

I think I'll have lunch, then head on over and make some hills. We did stand a brick of coco substrate as a monolith that she cannot climb and expect to to self spread as time goes on. I should post a photo or two. When we got her the enclosure seemed huge! She was a little one. In one year she has gotten as big as the box turtle we had for a decade. I have a few stories of Cally-Berry on my blog about the time we lost her and the time she caught a bird and actually ate part of it before we could get it away.

Let me look for the links..http://sallyfranklinchristie.com/wp/2009/07/the-turtle-and-the-bird/

http://sallyfranklinchristie.com/wp/2009/05/creature-comforts-a-quiet-turtle-who-kept-to-herself/

Back to my current nameless tort...

I never thought of the urge to mate. After lunch when I try to make her digs more interesting I'll take measurements of the enclosure and the tortoise and post them here. I'll even upload a photo or two.

Thanks to all of you for being kind and helpful..

Sally and The Tort who remains Nameless...

ub3rsh00

I don't have any good pictures right now, but I'll snap one for you when I get home from work around 10pm EST, it's not a problem. I love building enclosures. Wish I had more money and space to make more elaborate ones :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What size enclosure?

You can make an unclimbable humid hide by using a $2 upside down black dishwashing tub from Walmart. Just cut a door hole out big enough for the tortoise.

ub3rsh00

Okay, here are those pictures I promised. Usually the slopes are a lot cleaner, it's just apparently, someone was feeling adventurous today. He loves when I take pictures too. Always thinks they're gonna be ones of him. So I make sure to take a few ;p ImageUploadedByTortForum1394504865.961917.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394504878.045297.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394504895.435424.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394504905.454351.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394504918.423744.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394504932.521522.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394504942.543493.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1394504952.349634.jpg

I could make the hills bigger if I put more soil in. But I don't want him to be too close to his light and get too hot or dry. But.. I hope this gave you at least some ideas! Also.. Comments/Criticism from anyone (besides on "more space" because I can't go any bigger until September when I move in with my girlfriend) but I definitely want to hear some input!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yasmin_

Hey!

I'm not an experienced owner, but when I got my tortoises I did lots and lots of research :D From what I've learned, a home without reflective walls (so they can't see their own reflection, or an illusion of a bigger place to explore) stops them from 'ramming' into it! As far as tipping over, I think it's completely normal :) They love climbing and being active, just remember to have someone to check on them every so often so they won't be on their backs for too long. Eventually they should be able to upright themselves!

laramill

NCentral Wisconsin
I can see the reflection of the tort in the glass, I'm sure he can! Can you get some of that plastic surround they use for fish tanks or reptile tanks and put it in there? (Or get it out of the glass and into something with plastic or wood walls? Glass, even without reflection, isn't always the least stressful for a tort to live in...)

Otherwise, though, he sure looks like a jolly little bugger!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thurston is the name that came to mind when I looked at the 3rd pic....

If larger is what you already have planned, then you should be aok ...the set up you have is good and will be better once it is reproduced but in a larger scale :D

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
ub3rsh00 said:
Okay, here are those pictures I promised. Usually the slopes are a lot cleaner, it's just apparently, someone was feeling adventurous today. He loves when I take pictures too. Always thinks they're gonna be ones of him. So I make sure to take a few ;p

I could make the hills bigger if I put more soil in. But I don't want him to be too close to his light and get too hot or dry. But.. I hope this gave you at least some ideas! Also.. Comments/Criticism from anyone (besides on "more space" because I can't go any bigger until September when I move in with my girlfriend) but I definitely want to hear some input!

That looks like a russian tortoise, not a dalmation. Or am I wrong?

Anyway, if you want to make a hide that the tort cant climb, then dig a hole in your substrate and put a flate rock over 2/3 of it. :)