sleeping in hide all day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
i feel my tort sleeps too often. she comes out to bask, eat and drink then goes right back in her shoe box. i have checked all her temps (110F basking, 78F cool, 83F warm 78F night with the shoe box being 89F/80% humidity) she has a halogen basking light, a reptisun 10.0 uvb fluorescent tube and a plant grow light for lighting. she has access to water, shade, grass is growing in her enclosure, hay in one corner (cuz she loves it) and i have changed her enclosure around, added hides and other things for her and yet she doesn't seem impressed. the only other thing i can think to do is block off her hide during the day? would that'd be cruel? she has many more hides to nap in. is there anything I'm doing wrong?

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Does she go outside much?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
It has been said to me a time or. Two..females like to hide more then males. How old is she? My experience, my female sulcata, inside or outside, will hide a lot more then my male. Personally I think it would be cruel to block off her hide. Thats just my opinion...

stinax182

5 Year Member
i do have an outside enclosure but she has not been in it since early november due to snow (i live in Massachusetts) and i had received her in august. the temperatures are too cold to take her out even if her enclosure weren't covered in snow.

mainey34 said:
It has been said to me a time or. Two..females like to hide more then males. How old is she? My experience, my female sulcata, inside or outside, will hide a lot more then my male. Personally I think it would be cruel to block off her hide. Thats just my opinion...

she is 2 years old. i know they should hide a lot but i honestly never see her out for longer than 45 mins at a time. maybe 3 times a day...

i don't think i could actually do it, i just wanted to see if anyone has done it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some of them do hide a lot. We're talking about your leopard, right? They tend to be a pretty shy species.

The plant light might also be bothering her. Try switching jthat bulb to a daylight or "sunshine" bulb and see what that does. Try to find a bulb in the 5000-6500 K range.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Some of them do hide a lot. We're talking about your leopard, right? They tend to be a pretty shy species.

The plant light might also be bothering her. Try switching jthat bulb to a daylight or "sunshine" bulb and see what that does. Try to find a bulb in the 5000-6500 K range.

yes, my female leopard. it's good to hear that they tend to hide a lot. i don't mind not seeing her, i just want her to be happy. so if that's what she wants to do, so be it. and i will definitely try a new bulb, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.