Do Russians need a hide?

swatsx

5 Year Member
So my Russian won't stay out of her hide unless I take her out myself she just chills in there all day I did just wake her up from a mini hibernation but she won't even come out to eat

Basking 100•
Cool side 70•
Night temp 60-65•
Cocoa coir substrate
14 hours light
10 hours dark
Single girl Russian tortoise
Enclosed 5 long 3 wide 2 high wood tank
Hide is 2' x 1'

Any way I took her hide away yesterday she did eat this am but still kinda just buried herself away from the heat

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
My tort is neither a Russian nor a hibernator so I may be talking rubbish, but if she is waking slowly and feels safe and secure in the hide I think I would leave it in there just in case the change of taking it out causes stress.
Of course I may be completely wrong so hopefully someone with a similar experience to yours will be along soon.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I would not take the hide either. If I remember correct, you didn't really hibernate her. The temps were never cool enough. She is still trying to hibernate, and is too warm to conserve energy. You need to convince her it is time to wake up. I would leave very bright lights on 16 hours a day, and bring the night temp up close to 70. As I said before wake n soak daily.

swatsx

5 Year Member
Yea I've soaked her daily my worry is the hide is big and gets no light I'm scared she will just "sleep" all day in the heat with little food, she's active and eating after soaks and moving her out of her hide but I'll extend the lights and get night bulb going

W Shaw

Mine won't use a hide. He burrows when he wants privacy. One of the hides I tried recently he was hugely enthusiastic about -- he noticed it, walked in halfway and stood there looking around for a full 2 minutes. 1st one he's ever even noticed, and it wasn't even an appropriate hide -- Just a box with translucent sides and a transparent top. I just put it in there to allow me to create a humid spot. Since he actually noticed it and was willing to look at it, I've left it in and ordered some artificial vegetation to cover it over with. While I've been waiting for that to get here, he's burrowed near it a couple of times, but hasn't gone inside again. Normal hides, he doesn't even look at. Just burrows -- usually as far away from the hide as he can get.

I still think they should have the option if they want it. I know Tom says that a humid hide is essential.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they should always have the option of a hide multiple ones if possible