tortoise question !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

guillaume

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
wisconsin
Hello guys i'm new in this site and i would like to ask you guys a question i have a problem :/ two years ago i bought two cherry head red foot tortoises they were eating and acting normal until a few days ago when i notice that the smallest tortoise which its more than 5 inches big its been sleeping in the water bowl for really extended periods of time sometimes even the whole night !! the biggest tortoise its almost 7 inches big , their diet its varied , temperature its always stable and they have a cool and warm side they live in a 6 ft long x 3.5 ft wide cage with very good ventilation they eat , act and interact with me like always but i just don't know why the smallest tortoise is doing that if you guys could help me i will really appreciate it thank you !!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D and we LOVE PICS :p Has the humidity in your area dropped due to higher temps recently (this seems to be going on in a few states that it normally does not)???

If your tort has a desire to do this from time to time, I would not worry--however, if your tort has began this behavior and continues to do it consistently and you are sure your temps are bang on (what are your temps in the cool side, middle and basking/hot spot) then I would re evaluate your food offerings and to check the poo and see if you are seeing substrate in the poo....I would be observing the tort for any other behavior changes...

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
One another thing with Cherry/Rf's ....but not might be your "exact" situation ( being the age/size of your tort) females *WILL* soak for long periods of time before the begin to nest. So my friend, as they mature.... another sign to look for when breeding Cherries and or a reason for long soaking periods. As Ascott mentioned, really no need to be alarmed as long as everything else looks on track, they love to " soak it up" just being the type of tort they are.

JD~:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi guillame:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I don't know about redfooted tortoises, but when box turtles are ill or full of parasites, they soak for long periods of time. Just keep an eye on the tortoise to be sure it really IS eating.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! So they are both eating and the small one is eating as much as normal? The small one is, when not soaking, behaving normal and is just as active as normal?

guillaume

5 Year Member
wisconsin
ascott said:
Welcome to the Forum :D and we LOVE PICS :p Has the humidity in your area dropped due to higher temps recently (this seems to be going on in a few states that it normally does not)???

If your tort has a desire to do this from time to time, I would not worry--however, if your tort has began this behavior and continues to do it consistently and you are sure your temps are bang on (what are your temps in the cool side, middle and basking/hot spot) then I would re evaluate your food offerings and to check the poo and see if you are seeing substrate in the poo....I would be observing the tort for any other behavior changes...

HI guys thanks for taking the time to help me out with this problem , also i answer before but i'm new here and i'm a little confuse lol ,, the temperature in my tortoises enclosure ranges from 90 to 95 f in the warm side and on the cooler side ranges from 70 to 80 f , their diet consist mostly of romaine lettuce ,tomatoes,squash, Red and green leaf lettuce ,endive escarole, chicory , mustard greens ,kale , carrots ,zucchini ,papaya mangoes , strawberries ,apples, dandelions , and also once a month i give them a pink mice each and every week i give them 2 meal worms each , humidity has never been a problem and the smallest tortoise seems to be eating more than normal but is still behaving like always , i don't think its pregnant because its a little bit bigger than 5 inches almost 6 i think its still small for that , poo seems to be okay no parasites nothing weird so i just don't understand why is she doing that :/

the small tortoise is been eating even more, i don't think its pregnant or anything like that because it's a little bit bigger than 5 inches almost 6 and i don't think it's ready or sexually mature , when the small tortoise is not in the water it behaves normal but like i said before she seems to be eating more

, i don't think its pregnant because its a little bit bigger than 5 inches almost 6 i think its still small for that , poo seems to be okay no parasites nothing weird so i just don't understand why is she doing that :/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi guillaume:

We tell new members in the "introductory" forum that their first 5 posts have to be approved by a moderator. So that's why you are not seeing your posts show up right away. I've deleted the three extra posts you made in this thread, so you now have three more to go before your posts show up right away. Happy posting!

guillaume

5 Year Member
wisconsin
emysemys said:
Hi guillaume:

We tell new members in the "introductory" forum that their first 5 posts have to be approved by a moderator. So that's why you are not seeing your posts show up right away. I've deleted the three extra posts you made in this thread, so you now have three more to go before your posts show up right away. Happy posting!

thank you emysemys i thought i was doing something wrong i was so confused lol , thank you again for helping me :D

Status
Not open for further replies.