TORTOISE RESCUE NETWORK

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
I had already posted on that one...haha...

Thank you all to who responded to my post...and i am not a sucker...lol..i just never knew just how sociable a tortoise could be.. he is definitely a part of the family. And no more...im not keeping anymore rescues...my husband said thats it...i really dont have the room...

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
My understanding of how it works is that the person wanting the rescue has a rehoming fee. Erica can tell you what exactly that is. She has set a payPal account just for that. You pay Erica and the tort is sent to you. Btw, in Dude's case, I said I'd pay the difference (100 TRN $75 me). I'm waiting to hear if we have someone in California who can be the the go-between from the seller and Jacqui. For my rescue (Baby Runt) I paid by check since I didn't have a PayPal account.

emysemys said:
Ok, I have some questions about how this actually works.

Let's take "Dude" as an example. He is for sale for $175. Let's say the owner is willing to let him go without the supplies for $100. And Jacqui wants the tortoise. So we give out $100 to the owner then another $65 to ship the tortoise to Jacqui. Where does this money come from. If Jacqui decides she wants to be the permanent owner, does she have to come up with the $165?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I figured i would stay outta that one...thats Erica's business....not mine.....sibi, you guys still havent gotten that poor guy yet? Did the owner change her mind?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
No, we haven't gotten him yet. The woman wants someone close by so that she can check out where he'll be placed. Most people won't allow her to check them out in their home. If she wants to sell him, she'll just have to believe them that Dude is in good hands. I don't understand why another offer hadn't been made to pay the full price because I think if someone really dazzles her and offers to pay her price, she would sell him. Don't know if someone has tried that yet. We're trying to get someone from Ca. to do this for us.

greyshirt

5 Year Member
Floresville, Texas
LuckysGirl007 said:
I don't think so. She wants $80 "for the tank and the tort is free". If it was an AZ DT I think you are allowed one or two and you can give them away but not sell them. If its a TX tort I don't think I can do anything with it..I have a friend looking for an AZ DT but this doesn't seem to be it. I guess Mainey started another thread about him that I didn't see. Someone said you also have to have a permit to have them.

It doesn't look at all to me like a Texas Tortoise, they always have yellow sots in the middle of their scutes and they don't get that black. It does look like it needs lots of help. And if you are not in Texas I don't believe you need a permit. Sorry I'm coming in late.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
I checked with my az fish and game department and they said as long as its not wild caught, is not sold, is captive breed, and I go through a process to prove I know what I am doing then I can keep them. As I have already done all this when I started helping the sonorans I contacted the lady selling him and my sister picked him up this morning. I ended up paying $60 but I was looking into upgrading my toads set up and the 20g tank will do nicely so I had no issue with the price.
Now all I have to do is go get him from her.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
It is saying the Craigslist link has been deleted by its author. Maybe someone already helped him?

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Thalatte said:
It is saying the Craigslist link has been deleted by its author. Maybe someone already helped him?

The second post has a new link to it that hasn't been deleted.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Well I suppose if I bothered to scroll down...

Poor little guys all pyramided.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
My mom lives in Denver and she would definitely help out and get him BUT she is not equipped to house a tort. Hopefully he gets some help, pancakes are just too cool.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Like I said in the thread about him, as of last night the caretaker still had him. He says he got him 6 months or so ago. Keeps him in a 40 gal at 83 degrees. Feeds him hay and dark greens.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
jtrux said:
My mom lives in Denver and she would definitely help out and get him BUT she is not equipped to house a tort. Hopefully he gets some help, pancakes are just too cool.

Would she grab him and then ship him to someone interested if she was reimbursed for all costs?
Only if no ones in the area of course.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Has anyone heard anything about the rescue of Dude?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hope everything is ok. I can't imagine it, but I hope Ellie doesn't do anything by herself. I wonder if Erica has been in touch with Ellie about getting the funds for Dude.

Jacqui said:
sibi said:

Nopers not a peep. :(

Hope everything is ok. I can't imagine it, but I hope Ellie doesn't do anything by herself. I wonder if Erica has been in touch with Ellie about getting the funds for Dude.

Jacqui said:
sibi said:

Nopers not a peep. :(

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Is that what's holding it up is funding? Or just location of the rescuer?

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Thalatte said:
Is that what's holding it up is funding? Or just location of the rescuer?

Location and trying to get in contact with the seller. She's not responding to her emails I think.