TORTOISE RESCUE NETWORK

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
greyshirt said:
Shellysmom, I've been tying to PM you but I can't get it to go through. I would be happy to foster the little guy.:D

Great! I sent you a PM as well, but it says "not sent," so I have no idea if it went through. Yours came through to me, though. I'll let you know when I hear back from the seller, if it's still available.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
If you need a home for any box turtles, and they can be shipped, sick or deformed or in good condition, I'll take them and pay for the shipping. I'm in Staten Island.

greyshirt

5 Year Member
Floresville, Texas
shellysmom said:
Great! I sent you a PM as well, but it says "not sent," so I have no idea if it went through. Yours came through to me, though. I'll let you know when I hear back from the seller, if it's still available.

I got your PM. They are going through but showing not sent for some reason.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
mainey34 said:
Here is another one in phoenix
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/pet/3324495993.html

This is very, very sad. I cannot look any more..
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/pet/3302035500.html

There are SO many out here! I am in the north west area outside of Phoenix. Anyone else in the area interested in rescuing and fostering? I won't be able to do full grown ones at the moment. Probably up to maybe 5 years old. I won't be able to foster a lot of them either. Depending on the sizes...2 or maybe 4. I'm more than happy to help any way I can though. I don't have the $ to spend on them but I sure have the time, love, and knowledge (thanks to TFO) to help!

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Shellysmom, Thank you for setting all this up! I am really happy to see so many people interested in helping. Starting in the spring I might be able to foster a couple from Missouri. I just need to get an outdoor enclosure set up.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Wow, thanks for all the interest, everyone! Let me look into all of the recent Phoenix posts, and I'll get back to the people who have offered to help. And Kim, if you only have room for smaller ones, that's okay, because the goal is to place them as soon appropriate loving homes are found. Also, since Phoenix seems to be completely saturated with sullies, we might be able to ship some of the smaller ones out to good homes somewhere else. OK, I'll get back to everyone through PM. Thanks!!

mainey34 said:
Here is another one in phoenix
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/pet/3324495993.html

This is very, very sad. I cannot look any more..
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/pet/3302035500.html

Oh my god, Phoenix is turning out to be a nightmare for sullies. :'( I'm ON IT!!!

jtrux said:
I'll contact them too just to see what there rock bottom price would be...they are pretty close to me too so it wouldn't be hard to go take a look or pick her up.

OK, thanks.

UPDATES!!!!

Waterboy is working on getting the 2 pyramided tank sulcatas (Phoenix).

LuckysGirl007 is hopefully going to be able to assist in getting the 4 runt sulcatas living on pellets and eating iceberg lettuce in (Phoenix).

I'm still waiting to hear back from the person selling the russian that might actually be a redfoot in San Antonio. I don't think it's still available; I just hope the person who bought it knows what kind of tortoise it is.

I'm waiting to hear back about the sulcata whose shell is showing possible effects from mbd (Phoenix).

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I thought about trying to talk this guy into letting me have this little guy and then just release him in the Guadalupe River near me. He's been living outdoors in a pond so I figure he'd do fine in nature, not to mention that not too many people have aquariums large enough for these guys.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/pet/3318350855.html

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
jtrux said:
I thought about trying to talk this guy into letting me have this little guy and then just release him in the Guadalupe River near me. He's been living outdoors in a pond so I figure he'd do fine in nature, not to mention that not too many people have aquariums large enough for these guys.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/pet/3318350855.html

I don't know what the laws are in Texas about taking turtles out of the wild and/or putting them back. There are pros and cons to releasing it... My personal recommendation would be to call a wildlife rehab person and find out what the best available option is.

greyshirt

5 Year Member
Floresville, Texas
It does look like a native softshell, but I think it might be a good idea to verify the species, and habitat and have it checked out by a vet first. We wane to be careful not to introduce any diseases into the environment.
If you call the number below they take dropoffs M-F 8-11 AM. There is a vet there and they will rehab and release. They are located at 137 Earl St. 78212. It's in Olmos Park.
Wildife Rescue & Rehabilitation, Lynn Cuny Kendalia Small and large mammals (including fawns), Birds (including raptors), and Reptiles 830-336-2725 (24 hours)
Also the vet I use in Universal City has always been very reasonable with costs on wild animals. I'll help you anyway I can.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
greyshirt said:
It does look like a native softshell, but I think it might be a good idea to verify the species, and habitat and have it checked out by a vet first. We wane to be careful not to introduce any diseases into the environment.
If you call the number below they take dropoffs M-F 8-11 AM. There is a vet there and they will rehab and release. They are located at 137 Earl St. 78212. It's in Olmos Park.
Wildife Rescue & Rehabilitation, Lynn Cuny Kendalia Small and large mammals (including fawns), Birds (including raptors), and Reptiles 830-336-2725 (24 hours)
Also the vet I use in Universal City has always been very reasonable with costs on wild animals. I'll help you anyway I can.

Perfect!

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
qixer01 said:

I inquired about the first listing a couple days ago, and they never got back to me. It looks like one of the torts not only has pyramiding, but MBD as well. I'll try to get in touch with the seller again.

The second listing looks pretty good, actually...

Thanks for all the new posts. For the borderline ones, I'm just contacting the sellers and asking them to pass along the link to TFO, in hopes that the new owners will step up the care a bit and at least get them out of the tanks.

We have 3 priority cases pending, involving a total of 8 sulcatas. They're all in Phoenix. :( Hope we can work it out to save at least some of them...

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Sad that they are all in Phoenix. :(. I know of the 4 I am trying to get this weekend and the 2 Andrew is getting...where are the other 2? Is someone already working on them?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I have been checking on Craig's list here in phoenix. So far I have posted the ones that look bad. The sellers are getting smart they are no longer posting pics. I am inquiring about there torts. And asking for pics to see how they are. I came across one yesterday that had a little bit of pyramiding and I gave her info about this site. Hopefully she will take it. Its so sad to see some of the sulcatas here in the phoenix area that don't get the proper care, I wish I had room for each and every one of them. Unfortunately I don't. But I do have a out door pen that I could hold some smaller sullys for a short time or even maybe a 10-12" . I can only do something short term. But believe me if I could just help in any way. This just breaks my heart..

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
The 2 in Phoenix with the MBD and pyramiding are breaking my heart.. I hope they reply so we can rescue them.. I know I am in Texas but I would take them in-in a minute if possible.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
BodaTort1 said:
The 2 in Phoenix with the MBD and pyramiding are breaking my heart.. I hope they reply so we can rescue them.. I know I am in Texas but I would take them in-in a minute if possible.

Well, we will be keeping you in mind I am sure. It MAY prove difficult re-homing larger sick sullys in the Phoenix area. There are HUNDREDS of hatchlings for sale for under $40 out here so I don't know if many people will be willing to take in the larger guys. :(

qixer01 said:

The first one...I think they have many ads in Craigslist right now. Like a ton of hatchlings as well? If not there are an awful lot of sullys at those cross streets. I didn't think to check the contact info...I will now.

Phew! I'm not a complete dork....they just have the generic Craigslist reply link instead of their info posted.