TORTOISE RESCUE NETWORK

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Ripkabird98 said:
Oh no... I didnt mean to quote. It was completely unrelated to the discussion. That is a Russian near me, and I was wondering how sick it looks. I only really want ones that a.re in bad shape. I dont know how a russian should look, but its setup is crap. Should I save it?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pet/3412155590.html

He does not look to be in bad shape. The beak needs trimming, but may not be keeping him from eating. The straight sand substrate is bad. The enclosure while not idea is fine for how. Even the no UV light is not a bad thing, since it is an adult who may have also gotten time outside this summer perhaps. So I would say this tortoise is not a serious need animal... just my thoughts.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Yes, it's the one I just got. I will have more time tonight to write "his story". He is then one that was in Mesa with neighbors. His first owners left him saying that we would be back in a year...and it's been 3 years and they haven't returned for him. She really wanted him to come to TRN so she met me halfway (still an hour drive for each of us) in Phoenix.

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Kim, let me know when/if this guy becomes available for adoption. I have a soft spot for pyramided Sullies. My Sullies are all pyramided rescues themselves.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
LuckysGirl007 said:
Well, first off I wouldn't let those people keep a goldfish for me. That's just my first impression...they just didn't seem clean or very educated. Like white trailer trash type people. Her husband drove an hour to meet me in nothing but gym shorts. I mean...big beer guy....put on a shirt!

Ok. So, Mesa is a good size compared to the runt torts. I haven't weighed him and didn't really hold him long enough to even try to guess his weight. (Poor guy stinks). They guess he is about 4 years old. They SAID he looks better now than when they got him...I don't know. Maybe different but not better? He had diarrhea all over the tailgate of the truck. They said the traveling upset the tort. Ick! He smelled really bad. Luckily I brought the plastic tub (that I sent pics of) and lined it with several layers of newspaper to bring him home in. They said the first owners only kept him in a glass tank with no bedding. I don't know what they were using as an enclosure or substrate though. They didn't take him outside though. He had a heat light and was "next to the window so he had sunlight"! It amazes me how people think that the sunlight coming through a closed window is the same and unfiltered sun light! They said that he eats a lot and that he liked carrots and strawberries. They did mention giving him the dandelion greens.

On the way home I heard Mesa in the back messing with the newspaper. He dug in and completely buried himself in the 45 minutes it took to get home. He had more loose BM's in there and when I took him out and took out the newspaper there was LOTS of poop. It looked like rabbit poop almost. Little pellets. I have never seen that before..or the diarrhea so I'm not sure what that means and what I need to do to help him. He needs SCRUBBED badly! I need to get a brush big enough for him tonight. The little toothbrush ones I have won't do for him. I didn't want to over stress him today either. The plastron needs cleaned so I can see what kinda shape it's in...at the time it looks dirty and maybe even green? Unfortunately, all the tubs I have that are big enough to soak him in have a "door" cut in them so they can connect to other totes or be turned upsides down for hides. So, I can't soak him as well as I would like to right now. I can't only get a few inches of water before it leaks out where the whole is cut. Two of these tubs are now in the pen wi him. One is a hide that I put some Timothy hay in as bedding and the other is filled with water as much as it can be.

I fed him so some spring mix and escarole that I had on hand and pulled a few dandelion greens for him. I didn't give him any calcium or Mazuri today. I'm hoping his tummy is better tonight when I need to put him in the tote and bring him in. What temps do you think he would be ok at? Probably will be around 75* in the tote inside the house and not humid in the tote. I don't want to put the CHE in and overheat him.

Let me know what care he needs. I'll do my very best for him. I'll send pics tomorrow after I get him all cleaned up too.

I just copied and pasted the story I messages Erika so I wouldn't have to re-type. It takes forever in my phone or iPad.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
jtrux said:
Good god, i've never seen one that bad. That's just nuts. Good save.

I'm actually glad to hear you say that because I think he looks horrible. I was hoping this is almost as bad as it gets! Poor torts! They start out so perfect and then people do this to them. It makes me sad every time I look at him. :(

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
BodaTort1 said:
Kim, let me know when/if this guy becomes available for adoption. I have a soft spot for pyramided Sullies. My Sullies are all pyramided rescues themselves.

This is a lovely idea. I'll send PM you some info.

lynnedit said:
Good grief, poor little thing. No wonder these guys have survived since the dinosaurs.

I know, right? Any animal that can survive this kind of crap definitely has some sort of evolutionary advantage.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
What is wrong with tort owners in AZ? I wish there was a way to educate sulcata owners in AZ so as to prevent some of the damage they are causing their torts. Does anyone have any ideas? We may have to start a new thread on this.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Lol...unfortunately its not just a problem with just torts. We have problems with dogs and cats also...I don't believe there is anything that we could possibly do but to educate as much as possible

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Wow! I heard that the air is thin there; could this be a reason? Point well taken. No offense to those here from AZ who love their animals.:p

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
sibi said:
Wow! I heard that the air is thin there; could this be a reason? Point well taken. No offense to those here from AZ who love their animals.:p

Its just that we have such beautiful weather. Also people who sell them don't take the time to give basic info. They think they are cute then lose interest. By then, most of the time they are too far gone. Its unfortunate. Also there are so many back yard breeders here. Its just awful. All we can do is educate...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think that one is so pretty. He could move into my house any time.

How about posting an ad yourself on that list offering help answering questions on sulcata care? Show a picture of a nonpyramided animal next to one with it. Not sure what such an ad would cost, but I think it would be a step towards proper education. Then make up flyers and/or ad like posters to display at local vets, petshops, ect once more giving them a phone number, a help email addy, and this site address that they can rip off the poster and take with them. I guess I am saying, this seems like a major care issue in this area, we need to be proactive and help, not wait for the bad results to be needing homes.

... just my thoughts.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Jacqui said:
I think that one is so pretty. He could move into my house any time.

How about posting an ad yourself on that list offering help answering questions on sulcata care? Show a picture of a nonpyramided animal next to one with it. Not sure what such an ad would cost, but I think it would be a step towards proper education. Then make up flyers and/or ad like posters to display at local vets, petshops, ect once more giving them a phone number, a help email addy, and this site address that they can rip off the poster and take with them. I guess I am saying, this seems like a major care issue in this area, we need to be proactive and help, not wait for the bad results to be needing homes.

... just my thoughts.
I had thought about posting an ad about proper care. You also have some good ideas. If anyone else has any other ideas to ad let me know. I was also wanting to email the backyard breeders some care sheets to hand out with their hatchlings. If they give them out...