TORTOISE RESCUE NETWORK

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Last week, I went to PetSmart and found that they were selling a baby sulcata. When I looked at the conditions it was in, I immediately notified one of the employees there that this tort needed to have humidity in the enclosure. He/she did not have a hide to go into, and the heat light was probably too hot for him and the baby Russian, who was also placed there. The poor babies were sleeping in the water dish and at a far corner of the enclosure respectively. I could just sense that that baby sulcata was in distress, and I wished I was able to rescue it, but he was priced at $159.99! What a rip-off; and, to add insult to injury besides!!!! They also had a care sheet for the sulcata which states, and I quote, "These tortoises come from a desert region therefore require a dry, arid enclosure. A hide box is often beneficial. Many people use a Dogloo and put a pig blanket in the housing for warmth in large enclosures."

HOW DO WE STOP THIS COMPANY????

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
Count me in on fostering, I live in socal but will drive any place in cali if needed... (I don't know how to care for small torts but will try if needed) I have the room and would need help from people here.. I know how to care for sulcatas and leos

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
The PetCo and PetSmart by me don't sell any turtles opr tortoises, but one suggestion, if its okay with the administrators, could be to make up business cards with this website address, give them to the store and ask that they be handed out with the purchase of a turtle or tortoise. Definitely ask one of the moderators first before doing this though.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
I live in Minnesota If you need a foster for small tortoises I can help :)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I am happy to help, also. I have fostered and rescued and rehabilitated several tortoises, and have the know-how and equipment to quarantine and care for several. :) I have a blog about my rescues, but I don't have enough posts yet on this forum to be allowed to post a link. :)

We live in the Portland, OR area.

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Kim that is the tortoise Erika (Shelly'sMom) and I have been trying to get. They never replied to any of our emails. Hopefully this time we can get this Sullie.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I think it's one that was listed before with another large tort in bad condition. There is an ad from a few days earlier with this same pic and a pic of another.

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Exactly.. They have been placing Craig's List ads for them off and on for months, and each time I have tried to contact them even using different email addresses to no avail. And Erika tried also. So strange. Not sure what to make of it.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
That's the one I started out working on when we first started this rescue. I tried for so many months. They never reply.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
They put different pics up, put them up, take them off. I see the 10 year old is not listed. Only the 6 year old. I shot them an email just for shits and giggles to see if they will reply this time around.

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Seriously Kim what is up with Phoenix? You could run your own rescue and never run out of Torts/Turts to rescue off CL. In a lot of these cases there is not even an attempt to meet the three basics to sustain life.. Water-Food-Shelter.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Agh! I know! I've looked at other cities CL and there is no where near as many torts and turtle as Phoenix! I think if I tried started my own rescue my hubby night divorce me! If I had the space it wouldn't be bad. They are hard to adopt out here though too. :(

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I agree. I saw a red foot, but wasn't in too bad of shape. I think the reason why we have so many is because we have such great weather here. Plus the desert conditions. I also thought about doing a rescue. But my husband would do the same..lol.. and still no word on that Russian. And I've emailed them yet again...

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
LuckysGirl007 said:

Hi Kim, I'll send you a PM about this and a sully that needs help.

LuckysGirl007 said:
Agh! I know! I've looked at other cities CL and there is no where near as many torts and turtle as Phoenix! I think if I tried started my own rescue my hubby night divorce me! If I had the space it wouldn't be bad. They are hard to adopt out here though too. :(

Well, if CL listings are any indication, then Phoenix wins hands down in terms of clueless tort owners. It's scary, too, that we usually only act on the ones that post bad photos. Who knows how many other listings without photos have neglected torts that we don't see. :(

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Agreed. The listings without pics I've inquired about. I have gotten some pics. Some have not been bad. One had little bit of pyramiding. I gave some advice, also gave her this site in hopes she would be curious enough to look.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
mainey34 said:
Agreed. The listings without pics I've inquired about. I have gotten some pics. Some have not been bad. One had little bit of pyramiding. I gave some advice, also gave her this site in hopes she would be curious enough to look.

Excellent. :)