TORTOISE RESCUE NETWORK

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
In response to education, I agree. But there have been many times I too have emailed sellers info, or info on this site. That's all you can do. But when you see a badly pyramided, MBD tortoise. You can't help but try to get it into a good home. There are lots of rescue groups out there. For dogs, cats, reptiles. Its not just torts. All animals are abused in some way shape or form. If some one is wanting to try to help a few and get them into some good homes. Don't knock them. They should be praised for what little bit of good they can do to change a torts life. I could just go on and on, but I will. Stop....

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I agree education should be first. A lot of people just really want the money now though. They don't care what it takes or what care the animal will receive. If they were only worried about the care of the animal I think they would be posting "free to good home" ads instead of prices on the hundreds. We should try to educate, but if/when that fails we need someone to step in and help those poor animals. They deserve the best we can give them!

Here's a story we were told in our foster care classes. I find it very true and I re-tell this story every time someone tells me the infamous saying "you can't save them all". I hear that a lot when it comes to kids and torts. ;) Shellysmom can attest to the torts part at least. My husband can for the kids....

http://www.qualityshells.com/the-starfish-story.html

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
LuckysGirl007 said:
I agree education should be first. A lot of people just really want the money now though. They don't care what it takes or what care the animal will receive. If they were only worried about the care of the animal I think they would be posting "free to good home" ads instead of prices on the hundreds. We should try to educate, but if/when that fails we need someone to step in and help those poor animals. They deserve the best we can give them!

Here's a story we were told in our foster care classes. I find it very true and I re-tell this story every time someone tells me the infamous saying "you can't save them all". I hear that a lot when it comes to kids and torts. ;) Shellysmom can attest to the torts part at least. My husband can for the kids....

http://www.qualityshells.com/the-starfish-story.html

One reason people who really care for their animals should NEVER post, "free to a good home" is because of a story that recently happened not too far from me in central Missouri. A small group of people (five, three guys, two girls) went around and got over a dozen dogs and cats that were posted as "free to a good home", then they released them in the woods and hunted them, only one cat managed to survive because it was found after they had left it for dead. So absolutely NEVER post "free to a good home" on Craigslist, because you never know.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
That's true. I've heard of awful things that have happened to free kittens from parking lots. I was thinking more along of the lines of things I have seen where "re-homing" may be waived for the right home and such. Perhaps some info and follow up involved. More than "$150 OBO" listed.

How sick are people anyways??? Hunting people's house pets? Not really much of "hunting" when you can say "here Fido" and the dog comes running to you! Ugh! Humans are awful! <not all of us>. :)

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
I use that starfish story WHENEVER people say I can't save them all. I can dang well try!

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I was just curious if any of the rescued tortoises have found their forever home yet, or are they still being nursed back to health?

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Spn785 said:
I was just curious if any of the rescued tortoises have found their forever home yet, or are they still being nursed back to health?

We've found a definite home for the runtiest runt, in Florida. Just waiting for the FWC permit to go through so s/he can be shipped. The two bigger tank torts are going to foster in CA in a couple weeks, but I believe the foster has already found people interested in adopting those. That means 3 still need forever homes. One is definitely not ready yet, and the other 2 should be ready any time. I'm getting ready to send the word out on those two.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Just got back from the vet with Baby Runt! Everything is ready to go as soon as the FWC approves the permit. The Health Certificate was faxed over and I already confirmed that they received it and it is legiable. I think that only one of the CA babies (Tank Torts) has found a forever home. Then I still have the 3 runts. None are claimed yet. 2 can go any time and one I am still working on getting healthy and putting on some weight! They are ALL really great!

greyshirt

5 Year Member
Floresville, Texas
Just an FYI to keep everyone updated. On Wednesday two friends of mine came by my house and said they found an injured tortoise on a farm to market road in my county. This is a fairly common experience for me, although sometimes its a water turtle, a rabbit, or a bird. This time it was really surprising, because it was a 12" - 15" Sulcatta. He was seriously injured, had been hit by a car. Not much response. My friends said they would take it to the vet. So I called my vet, who is about 40 mins. away and they took him there. I didn't think he would be alive by the time they got there, but he was. The Dr. surgically put his shell back together, and his front leg was broken so they put a splint on it. I called this morning and he is on antibiotics and pain killers. They are going to repair his lower jaw today, which was also broken. He's still critical, but my vet said "as long as he is alive I won't give up on him." And I won't either. I hope this story has a happy ending, but no matter what happens I always amazed and encouraged by all the people who will go out of their way for these wonderful little critters.:tort:

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
greyshirt said:
Just an FYI to keep everyone updated. On Wednesday two friends of mine came by my house and said they found an injured tortoise on a farm to market road in my county. This is a fairly common experience for me, although sometimes its a water turtle, a rabbit, or a bird. This time it was really surprising, because it was a 12" - 15" Sulcatta. He was seriously injured, had been hit by a car. Not much response. My friends said they would take it to the vet. So I called my vet, who is about 40 mins. away and they took him there. I didn't think he would be alive by the time they got there, but he was. The Dr. surgically put his shell back together, and his front leg was broken so they put a splint on it. I called this morning and he is on antibiotics and pain killers. They are going to repair his lower jaw today, which was also broken. He's still critical, but my vet said "as long as he is alive I won't give up on him." And I won't either. I hope this story has a happy ending, but no matter what happens I always amazed and encouraged by all the people who will go out of their way for these wonderful little critters.:tort:

WOW! Bless his little heart. Your vet and friends are amazing!!! Have you thought about listing him on CL as found in case someone is looking for him? I would want to know if my tort got hit by a car and was seriously injured. Maybe they'll pay his vet bills and want him back--or am I overestimating the average human again? Please keep us updated on his condition. Poor guy. :(

greyshirt

5 Year Member
Floresville, Texas
shellysmom said:
WOW! Bless his little heart. Your vet and friends are amazing!!! Have you thought about listing him on CL as found in case someone is looking for him? I would want to know if my tort got hit by a car and was seriously injured. Maybe they'll pay his vet bills and want him back--or am I overestimating the average human again? Please keep us updated on his condition. Poor guy. :(

He has pieces of his shell missing from old injuries, so I think he has been missing for a long time. But that doesn't mean he wasn't a beloved pet, so yes I am going to do everything I can to find his owner. I don't know yet if I will use CL, but I am going to use our local newspaper(we're in the country and many people don't even have dial up yet). If I don't get a response from the newspaper then I will use CL. Our local newspaper covers four counties.

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
LuckysGirl007 said:
Just got back from the vet with Baby Runt! Everything is ready to go as soon as the FWC approves the permit. The Health Certificate was faxed over and I already confirmed that they received it and it is legiable. I think that only one of the CA babies (Tank Torts) has found a forever home. Then I still have the 3 runts. None are claimed yet. 2 can go any time and one I am still working on getting healthy and putting on some weight! They are ALL really great!

What kind are they again?

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
I take in alot of the sob cases. I wish I could take him :/ I have the room and all but since he isn't up for adoption.... if he is though- drop me a line- like- seriously. I am REALLY interested in getting that Sulcata that got hit by a car....

What kind of turtles are the "runts"?

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Ripkabird98 said:

All the runts are also Sulcatas. We do have two potential forever homes that just need to be interviewed. I think only one of the Tank Torts (also Sulcatas) are claimed as of now also. Waterboy is taking them to CA in the next week or two.

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
LuckysGirl007 said:
Ripkabird98 said:

All the runts are also Sulcatas. We do have two potential forever homes that just need to be interviewed. I think only one of the Tank Torts (also Sulcatas) are claimed as of now also. Waterboy is taking them to CA in the next week or two.

Aw. I would have taken one maybe

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Thank you Kim for taking such good care of these sulcatas. Baby Runt is coming home to live with me, and as Kim said, we're just waiting for the permit from FWC. I hope the others are placed soon.