Location (City and/or State)
Indiana

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No matter what you do, someone is going to complain about it. The comments for the video are absurd. Abuse? That is preposterous. At best a person could argue that the tortoise was inconvenienced for a minute while they attached the straps. Other than that, the tortoise could care less.

And of course some other genius had to point out the baby is going to die of salmonella because of sitting in a seat a top the chelonian... I guess it must be a miracle from God that my daughter survived her early childhood, given her near daily contact with these potentially deadly, bacteria carrying, reptilian disease vectors...

I only wish there was a species large enough for ME to take a ride like that! I'd wave to my Mom too! :)

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
No matter what you do, someone is going to complain about it. The comments for the video are absurd. Abuse? That is preposterous. At best a person could argue that the tortoise was inconvenienced for a minute while they attached the straps. Other than that, the tortoise could care less.

And of course some other genius had to point out the baby is going to die of salmonella because of sitting in a seat a top the chelonian... I guess it must be a miracle from God that my daughter survived her early childhood, given her near daily contact with these potentially deadly, bacteria carrying, reptilian disease vectors...

I only wish there was a species large enough for ME to take a ride like that! I'd wave to my Mom too! :)
Try a Galapagos tort, it might be able to hold you!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Try a Galapagos tort, it might be able to hold you!

A million years (and a hundred pounds) ago, I rode a Galapagos Tortoise in the Galapagos Islands.

We found a creep of them in a field with waist-high grass; my ride was crouching, then got up and started walking away from us after I sat on its back ... I'm not positive it even noticed me.

I don't know if I'd do it again, even if I was at game-day weight, but I still remember the way it moved/felt.

Jamie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A million years (and a hundred pounds) ago, I rode a Galapagos Tortoise in the Galapagos Islands.

We found a creep of them in a field with waist-high grass; my ride was crouching, then got up and started walking away from us after I sat on its back ... I'm not positive it even noticed me.

I don't know if I'd do it again, even if I was at game-day weight, but I still remember the way it moved/felt.

Jamie
I did this when I was five years old at the San Diego Zoo. I'll never forget it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually, I think the tortoise is too small for the seat and child. I also don't think they should be ridden.
Tortoises weren't meant to be ridden and so I don't think they should be.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I have let a few kids ride my big sulcatas less the car seat haha but I'm careful about how big a kid I let have a ride because I agree tortoises are not designed for it. But a little kid and a big tortoise I don't see the harm.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Neither were horses. Or elephants. Or bison.
very true I was thinking the same thing! but some how the leg structure of the tortoise makes me more uneasy about it then the other animals. But then again I draw the line at kids about half the tortoises weight. apply that to the other animals you named and it would be all bad id think

drew54

Indiana
What if humans rode tortoises rather than horses? Thats a world i could live in. If i had a galapagos or an aldabra i would attach a chariot and have them pull me around town both us dressed in roman attire. We would have fun. Yes, i am a big kid. i have to be in the field i am in :)

Bambam1989

East Texas
What if humans rode tortoises rather than horses? Thats a world i could live in. If i had a galapagos or an aldabra i would attach a chariot and have them pull me around town both us dressed in roman attire. We would have fun. Yes, i am a big kid. i have to be in the field i am in :)
I guess we would all be going at a much slower pace. I think I'll just walk.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Neither were horses. Or elephants. Or bison.
Let's not go back to beginning of time. Horses have been bred for bazillion years (exaggerated) for riding. As for elephants and bison, I don't think they should be ridden. However, because of their size, the weight of most humans or the one in this pic wouldn't be but a slight tickle. I wouldn't put a 300 pound person on a horse that wasn't a draft horse and I wouldn't put i child on a small tortoise or a large one either!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Let's not go back to beginning of time. Horses have been bred for bazillion years (exaggerated) for riding. As for elephants and bison, I don't think they should be ridden. However, because of their size, the weight of most humans or the one in this pic wouldn't be but a slight tickle. I wouldn't put a 300 pound person on a horse that wasn't a draft horse and I wouldn't put i child on a small tortoise or a large one either!
Is this just how you feel about this matter emotionally, or do you think it is doing harm to the tortoise? You are certainly entitled to your opinion, I'm just asking questions to try to understand why you feel this way.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is this just how you feel about this matter emotionally, or do you think it is doing harm to the tortoise? You are certainly entitled to your opinion, I'm just asking questions to try to understand why you feel this way.
For the tortoise in the pic, I think the tortoise is too small. Don't really think it would cause harm if it was mainly for a pic. If it was for longer, I think it possibly could. However, in general, I just don't think they should be ridden, no matter the size. The only defense they have to get someone off is to just lay down. Most other animals, like those you mentioned, at least have ways to get you off.