Tortoise Roommates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mishi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Victorville,CA
I will be getting my first tortoise (a Leopard) as a baby. I was wondering if it would be possible to also keep another baby (agassizii desert tortoise) in the same outdoor enclosure. Can they be kept together for a short period of time and then put into their own enclosures? Or should they be kept apart at all times?
Thanks,

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mishi:

We have talked about this a lot on the Forum. Most of us believe it is NOT a good idea to mix species due to transference of diseases, etc. You can read more on the subject if you type "mixing species" in the search box at the top of each page.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree. Do not mix species. Give each one its own enclosure indoors and out.

They are also going to need significantly different environmental parameters in their enclosures. Both the temperature and humidity requirements are pretty different for these two species. The DT should have a relatively dry enclosure but with a humid hide, and he should have a temperature drop over night. The leopard should be kept warm and humid all the time with no night temperature drop.

Mishi

5 Year Member
Victorville,CA
And for proper raising of that leopard read Toms threads in his or my post.
Thank you very much. I have been reading Toms threads, very helpful. I am getting familiar with how to care for my future leopard but I know nothing about desert torts. I have room for 2 enclosures but I will start with one enclosure and one tort.
Also since you shouldn't mix species what is the community feeling about having 2 leopard torts in the same enclosure?
Thanks again,

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
Not a good idea to house torts together long term, from what I have read. There is a very real possibility that harm will come of it, and I have read so many stories where this simple housing arrangement of two or more torts together has lead to death, so why take the risk?

Introducing a new tortoise without quarantining him also introduces diseases the new tort may be carrying, which can be deadly. The stress on the animals can lead to sickness. A bullied tort can decline very quickly, and we often do not read the signs until it is too late because they are so subtle.

I think this is most often a matter, for tort owners, of convenience and lack of planning. We do not have a second enclosure built. We get a chance to bring another tort home and it is easier and cheaper just to put them in with our existing tortoise. Building a new second pen is expensive and takes time.

But considering that most pens are already not large enough, is it fair to crowd two into a space meant for only one? Is it fair to bring stress, potential diseases, and possible bullying to the happy tortoise?

Plan ahead. Build your second enclosure, and make it large. Quarantine your new tort for six months to see if any illnesses surface, and seek veterinary help as needed. Afterwards, when introducing the new animal, make sure you supervise them the entire time. A lone tortoise is A happy tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.