Tortoise Salad Dressing

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I think I saw a thread about a similar product awhile ago. I'm not sure how people felt about it. You could try searching for "tortoise salad dressing" and see if you find anything. But a cheaper way to get your tortoise to eat something is to mix it with the "old" foods and slowly mix in more of the new foods until he/she is eating the new food.

bradtato

Richmond, VA
I searched this last week, and find that it was pretty much everything a tortoise shouldn't be eating. I choose not to experiment.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I got a pair of herb scissors from Crate and Barrell and use them to cut the hay into tiny itty bitty pieces and then I mix it with the salad. It works on the bigger torts but the little Leos ignor anything that has too much hay on it so I have to mix it really well. The piggies (sulcata babies) eat it without pause.

tignish99

5 Year Member
Thank you for the information. I think I will pass too. It does not look like something that a tort should be eating.

I have blended hay in the blender (my family just loves when I prepare animal food with our appliances :p) into bitty pieces, but she still seems to pick it off. Maybe I will moisten the greens more so that the hay is more likely to stick.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Take your blended hay particles and let them soak in water for a few minutes. Then chop up all the greens super fine, and mix it all together. Start with a very small amount of the hay at first and gradually up the ratio over a few weeks. Russians don't normally eat much grass, but I understand why you are doing this to improve the grocery store greens, but it might take them longer than a "grass eater" to get into this and desensitize to the taste and texture. I applaud your efforts!

BTW, I much prefer orchard grass hay or bermuda hay for this purpose as its much less stemmy than the timothy.

ZooMed grasslang food will work well for you in this purpose too.

And finally, I would not use that salad dressing stuff on any of my tortoises food if it was given to me for free.

tignish99

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Take your blended hay particles and let them soak in water for a few minutes. Then chop up all the greens super fine, and mix it all together. Start with a very small amount of the hay at first and gradually up the ratio over a few weeks. Russians don't normally eat much grass, but I understand why you are doing this to improve the grocery store greens, but it might take them longer than a "grass eater" to get into this and desensitize to the taste and texture. I applaud your efforts!

BTW, I much prefer orchard grass hay or bermuda hay for this purpose as its much less stemmy than the timothy.

ZooMed grasslang food will work well for you in this purpose too.

And finally, I would not use that salad dressing stuff on any of my tortoises food if it was given to me for free.

I will try those grasses after I use up the bag I have. Thank you for the suggestion. The store greens have been pretty poor here. I am trying my best. Not the best year for greens in general. Thank you for the applause *bow*. :) I am determined to make sure she lives long enough so that any future grandchildren will be taking care of her.

I have been eyeing the Zoomed tort food, but I was not sure of the quality.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
They look so artificial, I will say the contain will be nothing but artificial stuff. Tom have the right answer above. I'm doing the same thing, I use a old blander to make hay "power" them mixed with all the greens then I feed them.