Tortoise Scream, Help.

Haz191

Location (City and/or State)
Derby
Hi guys, I’m a new tortoise owner (Red foot tortoise) I have had him for about 3 weeks. The last two days when I have been soaking him he screams a few times. But I haven’t heard him when he doesn’t soak.

He always poops when he soaks (warm water). I’m wandering if he is slightly constipated. He seems okay after he poops.

he is kept in a vivarium
I have his basking light on 90-100 f and ambient temp around 75-80 at day and 75-70 at night
He has uv b light 12 hours a day
His diet consists of greens, fruits and little protein once a week. And Komodo tortoise complete diet pellets (high fibre)
His substrate is bark chip coarse grade mixed with coco coir.

Any help appreciated.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Photos of your enclosure and lighting will really help us to help you here.

Red foots don’t really need a basking lamp. They’re a forest floor species and need constant warm temperatures day and night and high humidity.

This care sheet was put together by one of our experienced forum members. I suggest you read it and compare it with your setup.

As for what’s happening during soaking... could you use your phone to video it? Upload the video to YouTube as unlisted and then post a link here so we can see it.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hi guys, I’m a new tortoise owner (Red foot tortoise) I have had him for about 3 weeks. The last two days when I have been soaking him he screams a few times. But I haven’t heard him when he doesn’t soak.

He always poops when he soaks (warm water). I’m wandering if he is slightly constipated. He seems okay after he poops.

he is kept in a vivarium
I have his basking light on 90-100 f and ambient temp around 75-80 at day and 75-70 at night
His diet consists of greens, fruits and little protein once a week. And Komodo tortoise complete diet pellets (high fibre)

Any help appreciated.
Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for updated info. Photos of your tort & enclosure would help our experts understand your tort's situatio, as well as how old your tort is.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That "basking"area isn't just unnecessary. At that temperature it's downright dangerous.
If your RF managed to flip upside down in that area, it'd be dead within an hour.
You want an ambient temp of 80 to 86. That's it.
Can you photograph or describe your UV light and heating?

willee638

HK

he is kept in a vivarium

Any help appreciated.
I've never heard tortoises scream, but my first red foot did used to make a swirling type noise when I pet her head never sounds when soaking though. Could it be the water temperatures too high or water levels too deep? Or worst he's in pain? I have 3 red foots & tortoises usually never make any kind of noise I can discern of, I was told if they have a respiratory problem then they'll make whizzing sounds.

willee638

HK
Yeah, farting & exhale sounds when spooked & retrieving into their shells. tortoise sounds are mostly inaudible unless you're right up next to them at inches away, the only 1 out of 3 red foots I ever heard noises from & many other animals also doesn't communicate through vocal sounds.